Industry and Climate Innovation in B.C.
B.C. businesses are working closely with government and communities to improve environmental protection and develop innovative technologies. These actions are helping reduce emissions at home, while giving B.C. industry a competitive edge as global demand for clean solutions increases.
Interested in learning more about industry innovation and provincial climate action? Here, you’ll find links to various climate programs by industry.
For more detailed information on sector-specific climate action initiatives, see climate action areas in B.C.
Climate action in the transportation sector focuses on supporting interconnected communities, the efficient movement of goods and people, and innovation in clean vehicles and fuels.
- Clean Transportation Policies & Programs (Clean Energy Vehicles, Scrap-It, Low Carbon Fuel Standard)
- Transportation and the Environment (Moving People and Goods, Green Infrastructure, and Adaptation)
- Adapting Transportation to Climate Change
Communities & the Built Environment
From the way we construct buildings to the way we develop communities and manage our waste, our built environment is a significant area in which new innovations are demonstrating what a sustainable future could look like.
- BC Local Government Climate Action Toolkit
- Communities and Climate Action
- Construction and Environmental Sustainability
Industry & Utilities
The province is driving innovation in industry and utilities through the carbon tax, sector regulations, policies that encourage 100 percent clean or renewable electricity, and incentive programs like the ICE Fund and offset projects.
- Innovative Clean Energy (ICE) Fund
- ISO 50001 Implementation Incentive
- First Nations Clean Energy Business Fund
- Community Energy Systems (Community Energy Leadership Program and case studies)
- Emission Offset Projects in B.C.
- Renewable and Low Carbon Fuels
- The Energy Act and Energy Efficiency (demand management, industrial efficiency)
- Clean Technology
- Support for B.C. Tech
The natural gas sector in B.C. continues to focus on reducing carbon intensity and switching to cleaner electricity in its production.
- Clean Infrastructure Royalty Credit program
- Responsible Oil & Gas Development (including carbon capture and storage)
- BC Oil & Gas Commission Reports
Forestry & Agriculture
Improved forest management is one of the most impactful ways we can mitigate climate change in B.C. In the agricultural sector, programs like the Nutrient Management Program are helping to reduce fertilizer use and GHG emissions.
- Forest Carbon Initiative and Forest Enhancement Society
- Forest and Land Carbon
- Natural Resources Climate Adaptation
- Climate Action for Agriculture
- Adapting to Climate Change
- Reducing Agricultural GHGs
Public Sector Leadership
Through commitments to carbon neutral government and low-impact infrastructure, British Columbia’s public sector is leading by example.