Living Water Smart
B.C.’s water is essential to our quality of life. The impacts of climate change, our growing population and a vibrant economy mean that we need a different approach to water management.
Living Water Smart provides the B.C. Government’s vision for sustainable water stewardship and sets the direction for changes to water management and water use. These changes are crucial for adapting to climate change impacts and the pressures placed on water resources from a growing population and economy.
Living Water Smart is a provincial plan and delivery involves eleven ministries and a range of stakeholders. The Ministry of Environment is responsible for overall coordination and reporting on Living Water Smart and is also leading action on a number of specific commitments in the plan.
Local and federal governments, industry groups, First Nations, non-governmental organizations, communities and citizens all have important roles to play in achieving water stewardship and play a vital role in achieving the Living Water Smart vision and goals.
Implementing Living Water Smart is well underway with the Water Sustainability Act, which came into effect on February 29, 2016. Other activities include
- Keeping water in mind when we develop our communities, protecting sources of drinking water and strengthening flood protection to adapt to climate change.
- Ensuring wetlands and waterways will be protected and rehabilitated and land activities will not negatively impact our water.
- Modernizing B.C.’s Water Laws to ensure adequate stream flows, ecosystem health, more community involvement, and protection of groundwater.
- Setting strong water efficiency targets and working with all sectors to reduce water consumption.
- Improving science and information so British Columbians can better prepare for the impacts of climate change.
It will take a collective effort to make this vision a reality. We must all work together to protect water sources, manage water demands, modernize water systems and infrastructure, and live water smart.