Site remediation: Requests for comments
Soil relocation intentions paper
Changes to the Environmental Management Act (Bill 3) received Royal Assent on March 5, 2020. The legislation will be brought into force by regulation. The proposed amendments to the Contaminated Sites Regulation are outlined in the intentions paper on regulating soil relocation.
The proposed changes to the soil relocation process outlined in the intentions paper will:
- Establish a robust and transparent notification system to track soil movement throughout the province
- Streamline the process by focusing on soil that exceeds a prescribed volume and originates from sites where specified industrial or commercial activities have occurred
- Prevent contamination of soil and groundwater resources by adding requirements for sites receiving high volumes of soil over a lifetime
To see the proposed changes to the Contaminated Sites Regulation, please review the intentions paper.
The intentions paper was posted for a 60-day comment period that ended on March 15, 2021. Stakeholder feedback on the intentions paper is currently under review.
CSR Stage 13 amendments: Revised protocols
Changes to the Environmental Management Act (Bill 17) and Stage 13 Contaminated Sites Regulation (CSR) amendments came into effect on February 1, 2021. These amendments focus on changes to the process for identifying contaminated sites in B.C. As a result of these changes and to incorporate previous amendments, the following protocols have been updated:
- Protocol 1: Detailed Risk Assessment (PDF, 480KB)
- Protocol 4: Establishing Local Background Concentrations in Soil (PDF, 862KB)
- Protocol 6: Applications with Approved Professional Recommendations and Preapprovals (PDF, 295KB)
- Protocol 9: Establishing Local Background Concentrations in Groundwater (PDF, 311KB)
- Protocol 11: Upper Cap Concentrations for Substances Listed in the Contaminated Sites Regulation (PDF, 2.1MB)
- Protocol 12: Site Risk Classification, Reclassification and Reporting (PDF, 585KB)
- Protocol 13: Screening Level Risk Assessment (PDF, 867KB)
- Protocol 16: Determining the Presence and Mobility of Non-Aqueous Phase Liquids and Odorous Substances (PDF, 209KB)
- Protocol 17: Site Remediation Forms (PDF, 528KB)
- Protocol 28: 2016 Standard Derivation Methods (PDF, 2.5MB)
The draft protocols were posted for a 45-day comment period that ended on January 11, 2021.
The ministry's response to stakeholder feedback is provided in the Response to Comments report (PDF, 1.2MB).