Anmore Green Estates Information
Anmore Green Estates (AGE) is a 51 unit residential strata property in the Village of Anmore near Port Moody. Waste discharge permit 4606 was issued to the strata in 1978 to operate a wastewater treatment system.
Along with other conditions and requirements, the permit limits effluent quality and quantity and requires monthly sampling of the effluent discharged to the tile fields.
Testing, conducted by a qualified professional in September 2017, showed that fecal coliform and E.coli were present in the adjacent school property (previously described as 'field', however that was an inaccurate description), Eagle Mountain Middle School.
A Pollution Abatement Order was issued in November 2017 requiring:
- that steps be taken to mitigate risks to public health;
- an investigation be completed of the extent and cause of the problems with the sewage system; and
- a long term plan be submitted for Ministry approval to address the source of pollution and any remaining risk from the sewage breakout.
A second Pollution Abatement Order was issued in April 2018 requiring the continuation of measures to mitigate risks to public health and a peer-reviewed engineering report be submitted to determine if onsite sewage disposal is feasible and can continue in a manner that is protective of the environment and human health.
A third Pollution Abatement Order was issued August 30th, 2018 requiring the continuation of the previous mitigation measures and added detailed monitoring and reporting requirements to ensure protection of the environment and human health. On November 2, 2018, this order was replaced with a fourth order containing the same requirements but granting AGE and their agents access to all lands necessary for the fulfillment of the order requirements.
A Minister’s Order was issued August 16th, 2018 to the Village of Anmore requiring them to submit a plan for approval prior to November 30th, 2018 to the B.C. government, describing how they intend to manage liquid wastes within the Village of Anmore. On November 27, 2018 Minister Heyman granted an extension to the deadline for the liquid waste management plan order. The new deadline for submission of a liquid waste management plan is April 30, 2019.
Anmore Green Estates continues to maintain the exclusion fencing around the breakout area and collect monthly samples. To date, there is no indication that the effluent is escaping the fenced exclusion zone onto other school property; however, a dye test conducted in January 2019 suggests that effluent may be leaving the site through the storm sewer system and analytical results indicate Turner Creek as a possible receptor. A review of the Turner Creek sample results, taken from below the storm drain input, confirms that all parameters measured remain within applicable provincial water quality guidelines. Turner Creek will continue to be monitored for the protection of human health and aquatic life.
On November 7, 2018, the Village of Anmore’s new council communicated to the B.C. government the passage of a resolution dictating “That council direct staff to make application to the Greater Vancouver Sewerage & Drainage District Board for the Village of Anmore to become a member of the Greater Vancouver Sewerage & Drainage District in order to facilitate the 51 units at Anmore Green Estates Strata being connected to the regional sewer system at their sole expense".
Temporary fencing and warning signs have been erected to keep the public away from the area until the owners implement a solution for safe sewage disposal, and the health hazard is abated.
Compliance staff will continue to conduct inspections of the site to ensure there are no signs of new contamination; and will maintain ongoing communication with AGE, the school district, Port Moody, Metro Vancouver and the Village of Anmore to ensure the safety and health of school children.
- February Monitoring Report (PDF, 7 MB) – March 19, 2019
- January Monitoring Report (PDF, 8 MB) – February 13, 2019
- December Monitoring Report (PDF) - January 23, 2019
- November Monitoring Report (PDF) - December 6, 2018
- Soil testing results - Associated Environmental Consultants (PDF) - September 2017
Orders and Other Documents
- Ministerial Order Extension (PDF) - November 27, 2018
- Pollution Abatement Order (PDF) - November 2, 2018
- Pollution Abatement Order Replacement (PDF) - September 5, 2018
- Pollution Abatement Order (PDF) - August 30, 2018
- Disposal field rotation frequency variance letter (PDF) - August 28, 2018
- Ministers Order Cover Letter (PDF) - August 17, 2018
- Minister's Order (PDF) - August 16, 2018
- Letter from ADM David Morel in response to letter from Village of Anmore (PDF) - June 20, 2018
- Letter from the Village of Anmore addressed to ADM David Morel (PDF) - June 8, 2018
- AGE Options Peer Review (PDF) - May 28, 2018
- AGE Engineering Options Report (PDF) - May 23, 2018
- Engineering Options Assessment Peer Reviewer Approval (PDF) - May 10, 2018
- Pollution Abatement Order (PDF) - April 18, 2018
- AGE formal report - responding to November Pollution Abatement Order (PDF) - April 5, 2018
- AGE Action Plan - responding to November Pollution Abatement Order (PDF) - January 19, 2018
- Pollution Abatement Order (PDF) - November 23, 2017
- Anmore Green Estates Waste Discharge Permit 4606 (PDF) - February 4, 2002