Inter-Provincial Claims

Inter-Provincial Claims (PDF, 86KB)

Can I get benefits from WorkSafeBC if I am injured while working in another province?

Yes. Claims for injuries occurring outside British Columbia are accepted, but only if you meet all the following conditions: 

  • your employer’s place of business is located in British Columbia;
  • your residence and usual place of employment are located in British Columbia;
  • your job requires you to work both inside and outside of British Columbia; and
  • you have been working outside of British Columbia for less than six months with the same employer.

I do some work in British Columbia, but most of my work is done outside of British Columbia.  Will WorkSafeBC accept my claim if I am injured while outside of British Columbia? 

No. Your claim will not be accepted because you do not meet all the requirements set out above. The Workers Compensation Board (WCB) in the province where you were injured may provide you with benefits. 

What happens if I am injured while working in British Columbia, but I don’t live in British Columbia?

If your usual place of employment is in British Columbia, and most of your work is done in British Columbia, then your claim will be accepted by WorkSafeBC. In this case your place of residence doesn’t matter.  

Note:  Under British Columbia Workers Compensation Act, you are entitled to compensation for injuries that occur when you are performing your main job duties. Under some circumstances, you may also be entitled to compensation if you are injured while traveling to work (for example, if you have to ride the employer’s bus to the worksite) or you are doing something other than your usual work at the request of the employer (for example, picking up supplies or equipment for the employer). If you are injured while performing such work-related activities outside British Columbia, you may receive compensation from WorkSafeBC, as long as your main job duties are in British Columbia.

This is true even if you do not live in British Columbia, and regardless of your other work circumstances:  If your main job duties are in British Columbia and you are injured out of province in the course of performing work-related duties, you are entitled to compensation from WorkSafeBC – should you choose to apply for benefits in British Columbia.

If I live in British Columbia and I am injured in another province, can I get compensation in the province where I was injured?

The WCB in each province has its own rules as to which workers are covered. You might be entitled to compensation from WorkSafeBC, and also from the province where you were injured. If so, you have to choose (make an election) as to which province you want to get your benefits from; you cannot receive benefits from both. Every province has a Workers’ Adviser Office, which can give you information as to what benefits that province provides.

If I could get benefits from WorkSafeBC or from the WCB in another province, how can I make my choice?

If you want to obtain benefits from WorkSafeBC, you must make a choice (election) within three months of the injury or within a longer period if WorkSafeBC allows you to do so. Please note that you also have to make an application for compensation within one year of the injury if you want to get benefits from WorkSafeBC. Applying for benefits in another province is considered choosing to receive your benefits from that province. 

If a worker who lives outside of British Columbia is killed while working in British Columbia, do his or her dependants have the right to claim benefits from WorkSafeBC? 

Yes, his or her dependants can make a claim for benefits in BC.

What if I work for the Federal Government?

The Federal Government Employees Compensation Act states that Federal government employees must claim compensation in the province where they usually work, regardless of the place of injury. 

If you have any questions, please contact the Workers’ Advisers Office nearest to you.

How do I apply?

You can complete an Application for Compensation online. You can also file your claim over the telephone by calling 1 888-WORKERS (1 888 967-5377), or by pressing #5377 if you are on Telus, Rogers or Bell mobile services.  You can also contact WorkSafeBC to request hard copies of the application forms, which you can then fax or mail back, by phoning 1 888 967-5377.

This factsheet has been prepared for general information purposes. It is not a legal document. Please refer to the Workers Compensation Act and the Rehabilitation Services and Claims Manual Volume I and Volume II for purposes of interpretation and application of the law.