Interpretation Guidelines Manual British Columbia Employment Standards Act and Regulations
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS ACT - PART 1 - INTRODUCTORY PROVISIONS
ESA Section 1 – Definitions – Determination
This section contains definitions for terms used throughout the Employment Standards Act and its Regulations.
"determination" means any decision made by the director under section 30(2), 66, 68(3), 73, 76(3), 79, 100 or 119;
A “determination” or decision of the director made under any of these sections may be appealed to the Employment Standards Tribunal.
Where a determination is issued under s.79 of the Act, naming a person that has contravened a requirement of the Act or the Employment Standards Regulation, the determination will also include an escalating monetary penalty, subject to s.98 of the Act.
Related sections of the Act or Regulation
- s. 22(2), Assignments
- s. 30(2), Producer and farm labour contractor are liable for unpaid wages
- s. 66, Director may determine employment has been terminated
- s. 68(3), Rules about payments
- s. 73, Power to grant variance
- s. 76 (3), Investigations
- s. 79, Determinations and consequences
- s. 98, Monetary penalties
- s. 100, Security to ensure compliance
- s. 119, Extraprovincial certificates