Regional Economic Support
These regional economic development trusts and Crown corporations were established through legislation to serve their respective regional areas.
They were each capitalized with funding and mandated, in whole or in part, to stimulate economic development and diversification.
Over time, each has developed its own distinct business model for distributing funds to meet community needs.
Regional Economic Trusts:
- Northern Development Initiative Trust is an economic development funding corporation for central and northern B.C. It provides funding and the ability to identify and pursue new opportunities for stimulating economic growth and job creation in the region.
- Island Coastal Economic Trust supports economic diversification, planning and regional revitalization in the Vancouver Island and Sunshine Coast region.
- Southern Interior Development Initiative Trust helps grow and diversify the economy of the Southern Interior through loans, grants and economic development initiatives in a range of sectors.
- Nechako-Kitamaat Development Fund Society is a grant-making agency that sponsors sustainable economic and community stability projects in the area most affected by the Kemano project and the creation of the Nechako Reservoir in Northwest B.C.
- Columbia Basin Trust is a Crown corporation established by the provincial government in 1995. The Trust supports efforts by the people of the Columbia Basin to create a legacy of social, economic and environmental well-being and to achieve greater self-sufficiency for present and future generations.