Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) Career Focus Program
The Career Focus Program within Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) will contribute $864,000 annually to projects that employ recent graduates. Each approved project will be eligible to receive up to $20,000 in matching funds. The program will help create some 80 agricultural internships for recent graduates of a post-secondary program.
Each internship must be a meaningful length, not more than 12 months. The recommended minimum duration is four months, but internships must last long enough to provide meaningful experience to the employee.
Applications are accepted between November 1 and November 30 each year for internships beginning on or after April 1 of the following year. Applications are processed through rounds and on a first come, first served basis pending availability of funds.
Eligible employers are organizations who can offer projects that will give employees:
- agriculture career-related work experiences in Canada
- skills acquisition through mentoring and coaching
These organizations may be from:
- not-for-profit organizations
- provincial and municipal governments
Eligible employers are responsible for hiring and verifying the eligibility of participants for Career Focus activities. To qualify, participants must be:
- between the ages of 15 and 30
- unemployed or under-employed
- have graduated in the last three calendar years from a university, college or CEGEP
- not have participated in any other Youth Employment Strategy programs (that is, Agricultural Youth Green Job's Initiative)
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Last updated: May 16, 2018