BC Innovation Council - BCIC Innovator Skills Initiative
The BCIC Innovator Skills Initiative (ISI) provides post-secondary students from across B.C. with business, technical and innovation/entrepreneurial training, skills and experience to meet the needs of industry in B.C. The program focuses on exposing students to regional industry needs and challenges, while providing students with the skills required to run a successful business.
This program differs from a co-op in that it is driven by regional industry needs rather than educational institutions, and prepares students to start companies and create jobs in addition to filling jobs.
The program is delivered by BCIC’s technology industry partner New Ventures BC. Students are selected to work with companies based on their skills and the company’s needs. The students are paid for their time working with the company, and the company receives the financial assistance of a BCIC-ISI voucher valued from $1,000-$5,000 (up to $10,000 a year) which must be matched in cash or a combination of cash and up to 25% in kind.
To apply, visit the New Ventures BC grant program page.
Companies' eligibility criteria:
- A tech company or startup in B.C.
- Hiring a post-secondary student from an accredited institution in B.C.
- Work placements must provide the student with entrepreneurial and business training and mentorship
Students' eligibility criteria:
- Must be a post-secondary student currently enrolled at an accredited B.C. post-secondary institution
- Not a co-op student
- Will be hired for a business or technical role
Last updated: May 23, 2018