Renewing, Replacing, Updating or Surrendering a Body Armour Permit

Renewing a Permit

Your permit is valid for five years and must be renewed before it expires.

To renew a permit:

  1. Complete the Application to Renew a Permit to Possess Body Armour.
  2. Complete the Authorized Credit Card Usage Form to use Visa or MasterCard to pay the renewal fee or enclose a bank-issued certified cheque or money order payable to the Minister of Finance. (Do not send cash. Debit-credit cards, personal cheques, and business cheques are not accepted.)
  3. Mail the permit renewal application, credit card authorization (if necessary), certified cheque or money order to Security Programs.

If your renewal application is denied, fees cannot be refunded.

Replacing a Permit

Under the Body Armour Control Act, you must carry your permit whenever you are in possession of your body armour.

If your permit is lost or stolen, you must submit a Request for Replacement of Current Body Armour Permit form to the Registrar within 14 days.

Updating a Permit

You must notify the Registrar within 14 days of:

  • A change in your employment (if the possession of body armour under the permit is for the purpose of that employment)
  • A change in your residential address, or
  • Any new criminal charges or convictions against you

To report a change, submit Reporting an Update to Current Permit to Possess Body Armour to the Registrar.

Surrendering a Permit

If you are not renewing your permit, you must surrender it to the Registrar on or before the day it expires.

Also under the Body Armour Control Act you must provide the Registrar with evidence the armour has been:

  • Returned or sold to your employer (if you were in possession of body armour because of employment), or
  • Destroyed, or
  • Sold to a licensed security business authorized to possess and/or sell body armour