Continuation into B.C. as a Society

An extraprovincial non-share corporation may continue into B.C. as a society by filing a continuation application.

What You Will Need

Extraprovincial non-share corporations need to obtain authorization for continuation. The authorization should come from the official in the extraprovincial non-share corporation’s home jurisdiction whose role in that jurisdiction is similar to the role of the registrar in B.C.

  • Home jurisdiction (where the extraprovincial non-share corporation was incorporated or otherwise formed)
  • Name used in the home jurisdiction

To ensure the public is not confused or misled by similar corporate names, the name for the society must be approved by the registrar. You may wish to have three name choices ready in case your first choice is not available.

The constitution contains the society's name and its purposes.

Prepare the constitution in a format that can be emailed.

If your society chooses to be a member-funded society, the following statement will be automatically included as part of the society’s constitution:

This society is a member-funded society. It is funded primarily by its members to carry on activities for the benefit of its members. On its liquidation or dissolution, this society may distribute its money and other property to its members.


A society’s bylaws contain rules for governing the society, including provisions for membership, directors and general meetings.

Prepare bylaws in a format that can be emailed.

Societies need to provide the full names and addresses of all the directors of the society.

A director’s address may either be the director’s residential address or an address at which the director is available to receive deliveries during normal business hours: 9 am to 4 pm local time, Monday to Friday.

The Societies Act requires all societies to maintain a registered office in British Columbia. Societies need to provide a mailing address and a delivery address (if different from the mailing address).

A delivery address is a location at which a record could be physically left with a representative or agent of the society, or in a mail slot at that address.

An email address is also requested and will be used to send notifications like the annual report reminder and information regarding any upcoming Corporate Registry changes.


Let's Begin

Once you log in to Societies Online, choose Continuation into B.C. from the menu on the Home Page. Complete the online name request application. You will receive a name request reservation number once the name has been approved and reserved for your society.

Note: If you are using Societies Online for the first time, you will be asked to create a BCeID account.

Once you receive the name request reservation number, print and complete a copy of the Continuation Application form. Follow the instructions on the form to send your bylaws and constitution to the Corporate Registry.

Send the completed form, required documents and payment to:

BC Registries and Online Services

PO Box 9431 Stn Prov Govt

Victoria, BC  V8W 9V3

Cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. You may also make payment through your BC Online account


Certificate and Notification

Once the filing is complete, the society will receive certified copies of the continuation documents, including the certificate of continuation, the constitution and bylaws of the society and a statement of directors and registered office.

Notification of the continuation will be published by the registrar.