Continuing a Company into B.C.

A company incorporated outside the province may decide to leave its home jurisdiction and move into B.C. It is recommended you seek legal advice to ensure your company meets all the requirements for conducting business in B.C.

Step 1: Request Name Approval and Reservation

The same naming conventions apply to foreign companies continuing into B.C. as for companies incorporated in B.C.

If you choose to use the incorporation number as the company’s name in B.C. you do not need a name approval and reservation. For example

  • 0123456 BC Ltd.
  • 0123456 BC Community Contribution Company or
  • 0123456 BC Unlimited Liability Company

The incorporation number is assigned by BC Registries and Online Services at the time the continuation application is filed.

Step 2: Submit Written Authorization

Written authorization to continue must be received by us from your corporation’s home jurisdiction.  A certificate of existence from the home jurisdiction is required and must be faxed or emailed to BC Registries and Online Services if your company is incorporated outside of Canada. 

The authorization is to be addressed to BC Registries and Online Services and must clearly state:

  • The name of the corporation in its current jurisdiction
  • The corporate number assigned by the foreign/home jurisdiction
  • Confirmation that the corporation is authorized by an official of that jurisdiction to continue into BC
  • The name reservation number for the name that the corporation has reserved in BC (or previous  BC registration number if company was previously registered as an extraprovincial company)

Mail or fax the documents to BC Registries and Online Services (Victoria 250-356-8923).

Alberta Companies - Should an unlimited liability corporation under the Business Corporations Act (Alberta) be extraprovincially registering into BC, a director affidavit or court order is required in addition to the authorization.

Step 3: Prepare and Submit a Continuation Application

Once you have received notification that your authorization has been received and processed, submit an online continuation application through Corporate Online.

To ensure you have all the information you need before you start the online application, we recommend you fill out a paper copy of the application first.

Get a paper copy of the form for a:

When using Corporate Online you may pay by credit card.

If you are going to use the incorporation number as the company's name you will need to mail the application and the authorization form from Step 2.

If you cannot file the application electronically, prepare the paper forms and contact a law firm or registry agent to submit the forms for you. Check with the law firm or registry agent regarding additional fees.

Step 4: Keep Documents as Part of Your Company's Records

Once your application is processed, we will send you

  • The original Certificate of Continuation
  • A certified copy of the Notice of Articles
  • A certified copy of the Continuation Application
  • A cover sheet that includes the company’s continuation number and business number

Keep these documents as part of the company’s records. You will need the incorporation number when you file other documents with us.

Business Number - You will need your Business Number when applying for a GST number or other accounts at Canada Revenue Agency or the Ministry of Finance.