Registering a Canadian or Foreign Corporation

Please note this does not apply to Alberta or Saskatchewan companies. More details for these provinces are available under the New West Partnership Trade Agreement

Step 1: Request Name Approval and Reservation

The first step for a foreign entity to register in B.C. as an extraprovincial company is to apply for a name approval. The name reserved must be the foreign entity’s own name in its current jurisdiction.  If the foreign entity’s own name is not available, the foreign entity may reserve and adopt an assumed name for use in B.C.

A name reservation is not required if the foreign entity is a federal corporation.

Note:  A company formed outside of Canada who has had its name conditionally approved to extraprovincially register to carry on business in BC must submit proof of existence (e.g. certificate of status) certified by the foreign entity’s home jurisdiction. The certificate must be dated within the last year. Fax the certificate with your name approval number to 250-356-8923 or email to  This certificate of existence must be received by the Registrar of Companies before you can proceed with your online registration.

Step 2:  Prepare and Submit a Registration Statement

Once the name has been approved and reserved, submit an online Registration Statement through Corporate Online.

To ensure you have all the information you need before you start the online application, we recommend you fill out a paper copy of the Registration first.

You can complete your filing through Corporate Online using a credit card or for BC OnLine customers, file using your BC OnLine account. Corporate Online has online help information to help you through the process. 

If you cannot file the application electronically, prepare the paper forms and contact a law firm or registry agent to submit the forms for you. Check with the law firm or registry agent regarding additional fees.

Step 3:  Keep Documents as Part of Your Company’s Records

Your company is extraprovincially registered as soon as you have paid.  We will send you the following documents by email or mail (depending on the notification method you selected):

  • The original Certificate of Registration
  • A certified copy of the Registration Statement
  • A cover sheet that includes the company’s registration number and business number

Keep these documents as part of the company’s records.  You will need the registration number when you file other documents with us.

Business Number - You will need your Business Number when applying for a GST number or other accounts at Canada Revenue Agency or the Ministry of Finance.