Register an Interest or Lien

Liens may be registered against

  • Motor vehicles
  • Boats
  • Outboard motors
  • Trailers
  • Aircraft
  • Manufactured homes

Each type of lien has legislation that governs the filing in the Registry. Note the conditions that must be met before a lien can be registered.

What you will need

Liens are filed electronically into the Personal Property Registry database through BC OnLine. To file your lien you will need:

  1. A BC Online account or the services of a title search agent or other service provider to register the lien on your behalf.
  2. One of the following statements: 

Use this statement to register the following types of interests and liens:

  • A tax lien on a manufactured home under the Manufactured Home Act
  • A security interest under the Personal Property Security Act
  • A buyer’s interests on purchasing goods, left in the possession of the seller under the Sale of Goods Act
  • A deferred tax lien on a manufactured home under the Land Tax Deferment Act
  • A notice of marriage or separation agreement affecting a manufactured home under the Family Relations Act

Use this statement to register a garage keeper’s lien under the Repairers Lien Act.

Both statements are available through BC Online and may be accessed online or through your service provider.

Where and How to Register

Submit your registration (plus applicable fee) one of the following ways


Submit your request electronically through your BC Online account.

In  Person:

Basic financing statements can be filed at your local Service BC centre. More complicated transactions may require the assistance of a service provider especially when involving legal documentation.

Through a service provider:

Filing a lien may require the support of a lawyer, notary public, or another service provider. Feel free to contact our preferred service provider Dye & Durham.

  • Check with your service provider for fee information

Need to Register a Different Type of Lien?

Builders’ liens:   Builders’ Liens are filed with the Land Title and Survey Authority of B.C.

Family maintenance:   Liens for family maintenance are only filed with the Director of Maintenance Enforcement.

Land tax deferment liens:   Land tax deferment liens are filed by the provincial government.

Small claims court judgement:   There is no provision in the Personal Property Security Act to file a judgement obtained through small claims court.  To act on a judgement to seize and sell personal property, you must contact a bailiff.

Tenancy disputes: There is no provision in the Personal Property Security Act to file a lien for unpaid rent. For tenancy dispute resolution services, contact the Residential Tenancy Branch.

Unpaid wages:   Liens for unpaid wages are only filed by the Employment Standards Branch.