Changing a Liquor Licence
Some changes to your licence will require you to apply to us for approval before you make the change, while others require you to notify us within 10 days of the change being made. Below is a list of changes, which form to submit and whether approval or notification is required.
Application for a Permanent Change (LCRB005B). Use this form to apply for the following changes to a liquor licence:
- Change of establishment or business name - 5 week processing time (approval)
- Food primary patron participation entertainment term and condition - 11 week processing time (approval)
- Request change in terms and conditions - 1-6 month processing time (approval)
- Live theatres requesting liquor service at films/broadcasts - 5 week processing time (approval)
- Change to hours of sale - 11 week processing time (approval)
- Catering endorsement (approval)
- Temporary off-site sale endorsement for liquor stores (approval)
Application for Permanent Change (LCRB005A).
Use this form to apply for the following changes to a licensee:
- Change in ownership of voting shares that results in someone owning 10% or more who previously owned less than 10% - 7 week processing time (notification within 10 days)
- The corporation, holding company or a subsidiary has amalgamated - 7 week processing time (notification within 10 days)
- Change of directors, officers and senior managers - 5 week processing time (notification within 10 days)
- Name change licensee – corporation, partnership, society or other - 5 week processing time (notification within 10 days)
- Name change person or sole proprietor - 5 week processing time (notification within 10 days)
- Addition of receiver or executor - 5 week processing time (notification within 10 days)
Application to Allow Minors (LCRB045)
Use this form to apply to permit minors in your recreational facility or to obtain a Family Foodservice term and condition - 3-5 week processing time.
Application for Permanent Change (Hawkers) (LCRB045B)
To permit mobile liquor vendors (hawkers) in stadiums or to change an existing term and condition relating to hawkers in a stadium.
Application for a Temporary Use Area endorsement (LCRB051)
Licensees who operate ski hills or golf courses may apply for an endorsement to extend their licensed activities to outdoor areas on their property up to 26 times a year.
Adding a new Director or Officer, appointing a Receiver or Executor, adding or changing a Third Party Operator, and a Share Transfer that results in someone owning 10% or more who previously did not. (LCRB005A)
All of these changes require a criminal record check from the RCMP or local police and the submission of a Personal History Summary form to the Branch. Nine week processing time.
Manufacturer On-Site Store and Picnic Area Endorsement Application (LCRB049B)
Add an on-site retail store or a picnic area to your manufacturer site.
Tied house exemption application (LCRB128)
Use this form to apply for, or change an existing, tied house exemption with a small volume manufacturer
Changing or adding a third-party operator
A third-party operator is an individual, partnership or corporate entity engaged by a licensee to manage their establishment. The third-party operator participates in a contractual agreement with the licensee and benefits financially from the arrangement. The licensee remains accountable for the overall operation of the licensed establishment. Liquor Primary Club licensees are not eligible to apply for a third-party operator.
Use the Application to Change or Add a Third-Party Operator (LCRB026) - 9 week processing time (approval)
Adding, changing or removing a licensee representative
A complete notification form for adding, changing, or removing a licensee representative must be submitted if a licensee wants to designate a licensee representative to interact with the branch on the licensee’s behalf. The licensee remains accountable for all activities within the licensed establishment and will be legally bound by the licensee representative’s decisions and actions.
Use the Add, Change or Remove Licensee Representative Notification form (LCRB101) - 5 week processing time (notification within 10 days)
PLEASE NOTE: If you are submitting a structural change with the intent to accommodate a proposed cannabis retail store, you must include a letter with your structural change application.Your letter must include descriptions of:
- Any proposed changes to the entrances of the establishment
- The proposed separation between the liquor and cannabis establishments
Use the structural change form appropriate to your licence. Six month processing time (approval)
- Food primary (LCRB012B)
- Liquor primary (LCRB012A)
- Liquor primary (golf courses) (LCRB012E)
- Winery, Brewery, or Distillery (LCRB013)
- Liquor retail store (LCRB012C)
Examples of structural changes include:
- Physical changes to (or the movement of) entrances, exits, walls, service bar, cabinets, stage, dance floor or outdoor patio within the establishment that requires changing your floor plan.
- Any physical change to your establishment that results in changes to your capacity or occupant load (i.e. add or remove outdoor patio).
- Adding or changing, the playing area, beverage cart, take-out window, or kiosk if you own a golf course.
- Catering and UBrew and UVin licences are not required to report structural changes.
A licence becomes dormant when the licensed establishment stops operating. You must notify the LCRB if your establishment will be closed for longer than 90 days, within 10 days of the closure or as soon as you become aware that the closure will be longer than 90 days. You do not need to report closures that are less than 90 days unless specifically asked to do so.
Use the Dormancy Notification Form to report your dormancy.
You can find more information in the Dormancy Frequently Asked Questions.
Temporary Changes - Event
A complete application for a Temporary Change to a Liquor Licence (including the supporting documents) must be submitted a minimum of three(3)weeks in advance of your event(s); otherwise your application will not be accepted and will be returned to with the fees”. Temporary changes include:
- Extending your normal hours of sale, capacity, and/or licensed area (approval)
- Adding entertainment (for food primary licences only) (approval)
Use the Temporary Change to a Licence form (LCRB023) for temporary changes to food primary, liquor primary, liquor primary club and manufacturer endorsements or if you want to use your manufacturer endorsement area to allow for a special event under a special event permit.
Use the Temporary Change to Liquor Service for a Special Event form (LCRB022) if you want to use your food primary establishment to allow for a special event under a special event permit.
Use the Temporary Change to Liquor Service for a Special Event form (LCRB021) if you want to use your liquor primary establishment to allow for a special event under a special event permit.