Liquor & Non-medical Cannabis Licences & Permits

If you want to sell liquor or non-medical cannabis in British Columbia, you will need a liquor or non-medical cannabis licence or permit. There are different types of licences or permits for different businesses and for special events. On this page, you can figure out what kind of licence you will need and learn how to apply.

By requiring anyone who holds a liquor or cannabis licence to meet strict terms and conditions, the government of British Columbia works to prevent such problems as under-age drinking or smoking, the over-consumption of alcohol, and overcrowding or unsafe conditions in restaurants, bars and pubs, minimizing the potentially negative impact of liquor and cannabis sales on neighborhoods and communities.

If you hold an existing liquor or cannabis licence and would like to make a change to it, including applying for an endorsement, please visit the Changing a Licence page.

New requirement - please read

An authorized signatory of the licensee/applicant must complete our forms. The licensee/applicant is responsible for ensuring that the individual who signs the form is authorized to do so. Typically, an authorized signatory will be as follows:

  • If the licensee/applicant is an individual, the individual himself/herself
  • If the licensee/applicant is a corporation, a duly authorized signatory who will usually be an officer or, in some cases, a director
  • If the licensee/applicant is a general partnership, one of the partners
  • If the licensee/applicant is a limited partnership, the general partner of the partnership
  • If the licensee/applicant is a society, a director or a senior manager (as defined in the Societies Act)

New requirement - please read

If an authorized signatory has completed the Add, Change or Remove Licensee Representative form (LCRB101) and they have specifically permitted a licensee representative to sign a form on the licensee/applicant’s behalf, the branch will accept the licensee representative’s signature.