Other Relevant Liquor Laws

Liquor licensee's are required to follow the Liquor Control and Licensing Act, Regulation, and the terms and conditions of their licence. However, other agencies may have legislation or regulations you must follow:

Liquor Distribution Branch
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is responsible for the importation, distribution and registration of all liquor products in B.C., as well as the government liquor stores. The Liquor Distribution Act gives the LDB the sole right to purchase beverage alcohol both within B.C. and from outside the province, in accordance with the federal Importation of Intoxicating Liquors Act. As the sole buyer and re-seller of liquor in the province’s mixed public-private model, the LDB is one of the largest liquor purchasers in the world. The LDB supplies product to more than 10,000 B.C. bars, restaurants and private retailers.

For more information, please contact the Liquor Distribution Branch.

Ministry of Environment
The Ministry of Environment's recycling regulation stipulates that licensees must accept up to 24 empty container returns per person per day for the product brands and sizes they sell (The 24 container return limit refers to the combined number of all containers returned by a person).

However, for the health and safety of the staff, there is no obligation to accept for refund any container that is rusty, dirty or contaminated. Private liquor stores must refund the full amount of the applicable container deposits. This refund must be given in cash and cannot be given as store credit. Persons contravening the Ministry of Environment regulation commit an offence.

Read more about beverage containers and the recycling program.

Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
Staff or contractors providing door security in licensed establishments are required to be licensed under the Security Services Act. For more information or to submit a complaint, please contact Security Services.

Provincial Agricultural Land Commission
Wineries, cideries, breweries, distilleries and meaderies in the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) are governed by the Agricultural Land Commission Act (ALCA), the Agricultural Land Reserve Use, Subdivision and Procedure Regulation and ALC policies that contain rules about activities permitted on ALR land without approval of the Agricultural Land Commission. For further details, please refer to the following resources:

Agricultural Land Reserve Use Regulation - Alcohol Production        
Gathering for an Event in the ALR (PDF)
Agri-tourism Activities in the ALR (PDF)

For more information, please contact the Provincial Agricultural Land Commission.

Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch
Minors accompanied by a parent or guardian may be present during licensed bingo events or ticket raffles if an establishment has received the appropriate permissions from the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch.

Learn more about gambling in B.C. on the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch website.

BC Lottery Corporation
If a licensee sells BC Lottery Corporation (BCLC) lottery products and has been approved by the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch to permit accompanied minors, BCLC requires licensees to notify patrons that the purchase of lottery products by minors is prohibited. Wall or ceiling mounted gaming screens are not required to be covered or switched off.

Find BCLC rules and guidelines for retailers on the Lotto BCLC website.

Tobacco Control Program
If the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch has approved the presence of minors in an establishment selling tobacco products, that establishment is required to meet the tobacco law requirements during hours when minors are present. Tobacco products, including vending machines, and tobacco advertising must be covered during the hours when minors are permitted.

Visit the Tobacco Control Program for retailer guidelines and provisions.

Measurement Canada
The Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch regulates both the maximum amount of liquor a person can order at a time, and the minimum drink prices. Official weights and measures, such as the size of a pint, are defined and regulated by Measurement Canada through the federal Weights and Measures Act and Regulation.

Provincial liquor inspectors cannot enforce federal legislation. If you believe that an establishment is advertising incorrect drink sizes, such as the size of a pint of draft beer, visit Measurement Canada.