Liquor & Non-medical Cannabis Compliance & Enforcement

The Compliance and Enforcement Program for licensees reduces liquor- and non-medical cannabis-related threats to public safety and promotes voluntary compliance with provincial liquor and non-medical cannabis laws.  We conduct education sessions with new licensees and regularly inspect establishments.


If an inspector observes a contravention to the Liquor Control and Licensing Act, Cannabis Control and Licensing Act, regulations or the terms and conditions of the licence, authorization or permit:

  1. You will be issued a Contravention Notice
  2. You may need to attend a compliance meeting, a meeting between the you and your staff and the inspector to promote voluntary compliance
  3. If the contravention is a recurring problem or a threat to public safety, the inspector may recommend enforcement action. If the branch proceeds, you will receive a Notice of Enforcement Action
  4. You may be given a suspension, monetary penalty or licence cancellation. The branch can also recommend additional terms and conditions (such as shorter hours) or take back existing privileges.  A permittee may be given either a monetary penalty or permit cancellation
  5. You may be permitted to choose between a fine or licence suspension if:
  • it is the first contravention of a licence or authorization for the 24-month period preceding the contravention, and
  • the minimum of either penalty (monetary penalty or suspension) prescribed in the penalty schedule is suitable, and
  • you sign a waiver agreeing the contravention occurred
  1. You can either sign a waiver accepting the penalty or request an adjudicated hearing. (See Enforcement Process for more information on enforcement hearings)
  2. If a suspension is issued, it will begin on a business day of the same name as when the initial contravention occurred (for example, on a Friday). It will continue on successive business days until the period of the suspension is complete. Contraventions identified after midnight are considered to have occurred on the date the work shift began.

  3. If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the adjudicated hearing, you may apply to the branch for reconsideration within 30 days if:
  • there is new, substantial and material evidence that was not available at the time of the original hearing, or
  • there was an error of law on the face of the record, or
  • there was a breach in the common law rules of procedural fairness
  1. If you are dissatisfied with the reconsideration order, you may apply to the B.C. Supreme Court for a judicial review of the decision within 30 days of receiving the order
  2. If you do not qualify for reconsideration and are dissatisfied with the decision made at the adjudicated hearing, you may apply to the B.C. Supreme Court for a judicial review of the decision