Statistics on French Education in B.C.
The Ministry of Education of British Columbia produces enrolment statistics that help British Columbians better understand the situation of education in the province. You will find the statistics regarding French Education below.
Quick facts (Updated February 2018)
- There are four programs to learn French in the K-12 education system in B.C.: Core French, Intensive French, French Immersion, and the Francophone Program.
- When students graduate from the French Immersion or Francophone program, they can get two graduation certificates: the Dogwood Certificate and le Diplôme de fin d'études secondaires en Colombie-Britannique. In 2016/17, about 2,600 students graduated with these two certificates.
- The French Immersion student population represents about 9.5% of the overall student population in B.C.
- In B.C., students from Grades 5 to 8 are required to study a second language. About 78% of Grade 5 to 8 students in the province study Core French.
- Over the last 10 years, the French Immersion student population has increased by about 30% and the Francophone student population has increased by about 50%.
Number of students enrolled in Core French
|5 - 8||123,418||142,642||146,224|
B.C. French Immersion enrolment & number of schools offering French Immersion (FI) Programs 2017/18
|Number of Districts with FI Students||Number of Schools with FI Students|
|B.C. Public Schools||47||278|
|BC Independent Schools||N/A||8|
Progression of student enrolment in French Immersion in the last 3 years
|B.C. Public Schools||52,547||53,206||53,487|
|B.C. Independent Schools||543||562||576|
Number of students enrolled in Intensive French
Number of students enrolled in the Francophone Program