English Language Learning (ELL) Teaching Resources
An English Language Learning (ELL) student is defined as a student enrolled in a B.C. school who needs additional English language development support in order to access the provincially prescribed curriculum and succeed in the academic environment.
This includes the following students:
- English as an Additional Language (EAL) / Apprentissage de la Langue Anglaise (ALA)
- Students with an immigrant or refugee background who need English language development support
- French Language Learning / Francization (FLL)
- Students in the Conseil Scolaire Francophone (CSF) who need French language development support
- English Skills Development (ESD)
- Students who speak a variation of English significantly different than that used in school are referred to as English as a Second Dialect (ESD) services.
School districts provide ELL supports and services, enabling ELL students to develop their language and literacy skills, to achieve the expected learning outcomes of the provincial curriculum and to become capable young people thriving in our diverse society. The Ministry of Education supports school districts with the following guidelines and resources.
- ELL Policy and Guidelines
This document contains policy and guidelines for school districts in the delivery of ELL supports and services, providing a basis for consistency, quality, and equity while allowing for flexibility in models of ELL support.
- ELL Standards DRAFT (PDF)
The ELL Standards are descriptions of characteristics that K-12 ELL students typically exhibit at various stages in their language acquisition process. The document is a resource to help educators support ELL students in accessing the provincial curriculum and succeeding in the academic environment.
- ELL Standards Introduction (PDF)
- Primary ELL Standards (Kindergarten to Grade 3) (PDF)
- Intermediate ELL Standards (Grade 4 to Grade 7) (PDF)
- Secondary ELL Standards (Grade 8 to Grade 12) (PDF)
- ELL Standards Appendix A (PDF)
- ELL Standards Appendix B (PDF)
- ELL Students: A Guide for Classroom Teachers (PDF)
This guide is for Kindergarten – Grade 12 classroom teachers to help them support the ELL students in their classes.
- ELL Students: A Guide for ELL Specialists (PDF)
This guide is for ELL specialists (including ELL district consultants, school-based ELL teachers and itinerant ELL teachers) to help them support their ELL students.
- ELL Planning Tool (PDF) | (ELL Planning Tool (WORD)
The ELL Planning Tool is a new, research-based approach that can be used as an educational model for instructional and support planning for ELL students with diverse needs.