English Language Learning (ELL) Teaching Resources
An English Language Learning (ELL) student is defined as a student enrolled in a B.C. school who needs additional English language development support in order to access the provincially prescribed curriculum and succeed in the academic environment.
This includes the following students:
- English as an Additional Language (EAL) / Apprentissage de la Langue Anglaise (ALA)
- Students with an immigrant or refugee background who need English language development support
- French Language Learning / Francization (FLL)
- Students in the Conseil Scolaire Francophone (CSF) who need French language development support
- English as a Second Dialect (ESD)
- Students who speak a variation of English significantly different than that used in school are referred to as English as a Second Dialect (ESD) services.
School districts provide ELL supports and services, enabling ELL students to develop their language and literacy skills, to achieve the expected learning outcomes of the provincial curriculum and to become capable young people thriving in our diverse society. The Ministry of Education supports school districts with the following guidelines and resources.
- Compassionate Learning Communities – Supporting Trauma-informed Practice Training Resources
- ELL Policy Guidelines
The purpose of this document is to provide policy guidelines to school districts in the delivery of ELL services. These guidelines provide a basis for consistency, quality, and equity while allowing for flexibility in the delivery of ELL services.
- ELL Standards (PDF)
The ELL Standards are descriptions of characteristics that K-12 ELL students typically exhibit at various stages in their language acquisition process. The document is a resource to help educators support ELL students in accessing the provincial curriculum and succeeding in the academic environment.
- ELL Standards Introduction (PDF)
- Primary ELL Standards (Kindergarten to Grade 3) (PDF)
- Intermediate ELL Standards (Grade 4 to Grade 7) (PDF)
- Secondary ELL Standards (Grade 8 to Grade 12) (PDF)
- ELL Standards Appendix A (PDF)
- ELL Standards Appendix B (PDF)
- ELL Planning Tool (PDF) | (ELL Planning Tool (WORD)
The ELL Planning Tool is a new, research-based approach that can be used as an educational model for instructional and support planning for ELL students with diverse needs.