Get a Criminal Record Check

All educators who want to maintain their B.C. teaching certificate must authorize a criminal record check every five years – even if you recently had one done with another employer or organization. If you don't, your certificate will be suspended and eventually cancelled.

Give your permission for a criminal record check to be completed every five years. You will need your certificate number to complete the process.

Your authorization will be forwarded to the Criminal Records Review Program (CRRP) of the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General for processing.

You will be notified when it's time to submit your authorization for a criminal record check to the CRRP.

If you've given consent for an automatic submission every five years, the Ministry of Education will notify you before sending your authorization.

While you wait for the check to be completed, you can continue teaching as long as you:

  • Have paid your annual practice fee and are in good standing
  • Comply with any requests for additional information as part of the criminal record check in a timely manner

Fingerprinting may be required if a person with a criminal record shares your birth date and gender.

You will receive a letter from the CRRP if you need to submit your fingerprints to confirm your identity.

It's important that you complete this step and notify the CRRP within 90 days. Otherwise your teaching certificate will be suspended and you will not be able to work with children or vulnerable adults.

The fees for fingerprinting vary according to individual police agencies and are not covered by your annual practice fee.

The Criminal Records Review Program (CRRP) will perform the criminal record check. It is difficult to estimate how long this process will take. 

Once the check is complete, the CRRP will provide electronic confirmation that there is nothing on your record to suggest that you pose a risk to the safety of children or vulnerable adults. This confirmation is only sent to the Ministry of Education.

If there are any relevant offenses on your record, the CRRP will notify both you and the Ministry.

Sharing results: The Ministry of Education does not share the results of criminal record checks with other organizations. However, if you want to share your results at no cost with another employer or organization if they are registered with the CRRP.