Teach in Another Province or Country

If you're moving to another province or country to teach, you should:

Get certified to teach in B.C.

If you don't have a teaching certificate yet, check the requirements to apply for a certificate in B.C.

Maintain your certificate: Keep your B.C. teaching certificate valid by paying the annual practice fee. This way, you won't need to apply for a new certificate if you want to teach in B.C. again.

Get a Statement of Professional Standing

This is a letter from the Ministry of Education that confirms the standing of your certification in B.C.

You can submit the form anytime – you can include it when you apply for your B.C. teaching certificate.

Get certified in your new location

Apply for a teaching certificate from the education authority for the location where you'd like to teach.

Teach at a B.C. Offshore School

B.C. certified offshore schools are authorized to offer B.C. curriculum in countries around the world. Teachers at these schools must have a valid:


The Ministry of Education certifies and inspects the delivery of the B.C. educational program at offshore schools. The schools must meet program requirements and comply with local laws. The ministry is not responsible for:

  • Helping teachers get a work visa
  • Resolving disputes between teachers and offshore schools – support for this is provided by the school principal or vice principal

Find a teaching opportunity

Many B.C. offshore schools post employment opportunities on the Make a Future website. You can also contact an offshore school directly to ask about employment opportunities.

Follow the rules

Make sure you have correct information about employment and immigration requirements for the country where you will be teaching. Check with the country’s consulate or embassy in Canada for information about local laws and requirements.

Do some research to find out what to expect

For example, find out:

  • How many hours a week will you work?
  • What classes will you teach?
  • How will you teach a class of non-English speakers?
  • What are standard living and working conditions like?
  • What rights do employees have?

Be optimistic and adaptable

A successful transition will depend on your attitude. Once arrive in your new home, start adapting right away:

  • Learn the new language as quickly as possible
  • Get advice from others who have international teaching experience
  • Make new friends – not just ones from Canada
  • Be friendly, respectful and polite
  • Try to adjust your way of thinking