Encouraging Socially Responsible Behaviour
Success in education happens when everyone acts in socially responsible ways.
See the B.C. Core Competencies for a common set of expectations for socially responsible behaviour at school.
Here are a few of the standards that can help guide the actions of students:
Contributing to the Classroom and School Community
- Being welcoming, friendly, kind and helpful.
- Participating willingly in classroom activities and working cooperatively.
- Volunteering for extra responsibilities.
Solving Conflicts in Peaceful Ways
- Expressing feelings honestly, managing feelings of anger appropriately and listening respectfully.
- Showing empathy and considering differing points of view.
- Working to solve interpersonal problems calmly and knowing when to get adult help.
Valuing Diversity and Defending Human Rights
- Treating others fairly and respectfully and trying to be unbiased and ethical.
- Showing interest in correcting injustice and speaking out and taking action to support diversity and defend human rights.
Exercising Democratic Rights and Responsibilities
- Showing a growing sense of responsibility and following school rules.
- Showing a sense of community mindedness and being accountable for personal behaviour.
- Taking action to improve the world.