BC-China Award for Excellence in Chinese
Deadline for 2018/19 competition: March 1, 2019
To help promote the study of Chinese language and culture in British Columbia, the British Columbia Ministry of Education and the Education Office of the Consulate-General of the People’s Republic of China in Vancouver have partnered to jointly fund scholarship awards for B.C. students.
The BC-China Award for Excellence in Chinese offers up to fifty (50) $500 Awards for B.C. students studying Chinese. Each Award is jointly funded by the B.C. Ministry of Education ($250) and the Chinese Consulate in Vancouver ($250).
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Ordinarily reside in British Columbia
- Be school-age (not older than 19 years of age by June 30, 2019)
- Be enrolled as a full-time Grade 12 student at a public or independent school in British Columbia
- Have completed a Mandarin Chinese language course at the Grade 11 level in British Columbia with a minimum course grade of 86 % – course completion attained through challenge, equivalency or other course credit is not eligible
- Be enrolled in or have completed a Mandarin Chinese language course at the Grade 12 level
- Have attained a grade of 73% and above in all completed Grade 11 courses
How to Apply
Students must complete Parts I and II of the application and ensure Part III is completed by the student’s guardian. Each applicant must also be nominated or sponsored by the student’s Mandarin Chinese language teacher, or the school’s vice-principal or principal. Sponsors must complete Part IV of the application on behalf of the student.
- Complete an application (PDF)
- Email your application and transcript to the BC Council for International Education