Personal Education Number (PEN) Information for Students and Parents
Students entering B.C.’s education system are assigned a Personal Education Number (PEN) – a unique nine-digit number.
You may have a PEN if you:
- Attended a B.C. K-12 school since 1993
- Wrote a provincial exam since 1986 or
- Attended a B.C. Public Post-Secondary Institution since 1998
You can use your PEN to:
- View or order your secondary school transcript
- Send your secondary school transcripts to post-secondary institutions
- Order your graduation certificate
- View your scholarships
- View your provincial exam or graduation assessment results.
Personal Education Numbers can be useful for students registering in a B.C. Post-secondary Institution.
The easiest way to find your PEN is by:
- Checking your student records or your report card
- Ask at your current, or recent secondary school, or
- The top right-hand corner of your official Ministry of Education transcript
If you still cannot find your PEN try:
- The school where you wrote your most recent provincial exam
- If you attended a B.C. Public Post-Secondary Institution since 1998, you may have a PEN. Contact that institution's records department
- Download and complete as per the instructions on the Student PEN Request Form (PDF)
PENs can only be given to:
- The person assigned the PEN
- That person’s current or future school (in case of early registrations)
- That person’s parent or guardian (if the person is under 19 years of age and incapable of consenting to the disclosure)
Under the Freedom of Information and the Protection of Privacy Act, PEN information cannot be given over the phone.
Providing your PEN on Post-Secondary application(s) will streamline the process. However, as a student, you are not required to provide your PEN.
If an application form or web site asks for your PEN, you may leave it blank. An institution cannot deny or delay your application if you do not provide your PEN. If you are applying from out of province, then the B.C. Post-Secondary Institution will request a PEN from the Ministry of Education on your behalf.