Teach in French
Learn more about training, job opportunities and professional development for teachers in French education programs in B.C.
Last updated: January 06, 2021
On this page:
- Complete a Teacher Education Program in B.C.
- Upgrade to teach in a French immersion program
- Applying from another province
- Applying from another country
- Become a French-language education assistant
- Find a Job in French Education in B.C.
- Professional Development Opportunities for French Educators
The University of Victoria offers a Professional Specialization Certificate in Teaching French Immersion to individuals who are already certified teachers. Bursaries are available directly from UVic for B.C. teachers who complete this certificate program.
For more information, on the eligibility requirements if you are applying from another province
For more information, on the eligibility requirements if you are applying from outside of Canada
There are many opportunities for B.C. educators to attend courses, conferences and education programs to improve their academic and linguistic competencies in French.
- Bursaries for B.C. Teachers – Professional Development in French
- Bursaries for B.C. Teachers – University Courses in French
- Teacher Exchange & Mobility Award for schools
Where can you find professional development opportunities in French education?
University of British Columbia (UBC):
Summer institutes and language programs (Level: Beginner to Intermediate/Advanced)
- UBC Extended learning Language Programs—French
- UBC Extended Learning French Summer Institutes at UBC - Watch the promotional video
- Faculty of Education Summer Institute—Institut de français, UBC à Québec
- Séjour UBC
Two-year part-time graduate program (Level: Intermediate/fluency in French required)
- MEd in Modern Languages Education for teachers in Francophone, French Immersion, intensive French and Core French programs
University of Victoria:
For more information, contact UVCS.Languages@uvic.ca.
Simon Fraser University:
For more information, contact email@example.com.
- UBC Extended Learning French Summer Institute—Institut de français à UBC
- Université de Québec à Montréal (UQÀM):
- Université de Montréal:
- Université Laval
Other organizations offering professional development opportunities for French educators include
- Association canadienne d’éducation de langue française (ACELF)—offers professional development training for teachers
- Canadian Association of Immersion Professionals (CAIP)
- Association provinciale des professeurs d’immersion et du programme francophone de Colombie-Britannique (APPIPC)
- BC Association of Teachers of Modern Languages (BCATML)
- BC Language Coordination Association (BCLCA)
- BC Teachers’ Federation (BCTF)
- L'Istorlet—offers a linguistic session for FSL teachers