Aboriginal Education in British Columbia
Recognizing that our students are our future, Aboriginal Education seeks to:
- Improve the success of these students
- Support all students learning about Aboriginal peoples
- Help teachers in their efforts to bring Aboriginal knowledge into their teaching practice
British Columbia Tripartite Education Agreement: Supporting First Nation Student Success (BCTEA)
First Nations students living on reserve attend a variety of different school types. The BCTEA outlines keys to success for these students whether they attend a First Nations, B.C. public or independent school.
In the Classroom
Several B.C. school districts have incorporated Aboriginal education into lesson plans and learning activities for all students. Learn about the teaching tools available to educators or lookup which school districts offer Aboriginal programs.
Aboriginal Education and Curriculum
- English 10 & 11 First Peoples (PDF)
- English 12 First Peoples (PDF)
- B.C. First Nations Studies 12 (PDF)
- Indigenous Languages of B.C.
- Aboriginal Worldviews and Perspectives in the Classroom (PDF)
- Visions du monde et perspectives autochtones dans la salle de classe (PDF)
- First Peoples Principles of Learning (PDF)
Resources for Administrators
- Aboriginal Education Enhancement Agreements
- Aboriginal Education Funding policy
- Reciprocal Tuition
- Reports and Student Data
The ‘Equity in Action Project’ represents some of the current directions being taken by our School District partners and us to address systemic barriers impacting Aboriginal student achievement. A focus on ‘equity of opportunity’ and a co-constructive approach is driving a review of practices and policies that may be creating obstacles for Aboriginal learners in the B.C. public school system.
The Equity Scan defines a collective and collaborative decision-making process for school districts to enter into a genuine and meaningful self-assessment dialogue about the experience of education for Aboriginal learners and to respond in strategic ways to create conditions for success.
The following short film was generously created in partnership with Thompson Rivers University and features a variety of perspectives from many educational leaders that have participated in the field trials of the Equity in Action Project in 2017/2018.
First Nations Schools
There are approximately 130 First Nations schools in 67 First Nations communities in B.C. serving over 5,000 students.
Reconciliation and Anti-Racism
- Report on Actions Taken To Support Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s Calls to Action
- Racism in Schools: A Barrier to Education among Aboriginal Students - Antiracism Research (PDF)
- Project of Heart: Illuminating the hidden history of Indian Residential Schools in B.C.
- First Nations Education Steering Committee: Indian Residential Schools and Reconciliation
- Aboriginal Worldviews and Perspectives in the Classroom Moving Forward (PDF)
- Visions du monde et perspectives autochtones dans la salle de classe Aller de l’avant (PDF 9,5MB)
- Aboriginal Languages IRP Review Report (2016) (PDF, 1MB) by researcher-writer Dr. Wanosts’a7 Lorna Williams, was guided by the First Nations Education Steering Committee and the Ministry of Education. The report focuses on Aboriginal language education in B.C. This research addresses the development and implementation of Aboriginal language curriculum. The methodology entailed a literature review of best practices, and also a survey of district level Aboriginal language educators. The report concludes with recommendations for supporting curriculum and program development for Aboriginal language education.
- Aboriginal Education Enhancement Agreements: Complicated Conversations as Pathways to Success (PDF, 1MB) prepared by Andrew Kitchenham, Principal Investigator, UNBC; Tina Fraser, Co-Researcher, UNBC; Michelle Pidgeon, Co-Researcher, SFU; and Karen Ragoonaden, Co-Researcher, UBC-O (2016)
- Polysynthetic Language Structures and their Role in Pedagogy and Curriculum for BC Indigenous Languages (PDF 2MB) (June 2014)