Apply for an Early Childhood Educator or Assistant Certificate
Applying for the first time? Complete the appropriate application along with all supporting documents required.
Each application form provides the mailing address and a list of required documents – which may include things like:
- A certified true copy of your credential (a photocopy of the original signed by a bank official, notary public, government employee, school principal or doctor)
- An official copy of your transcripts from the institution you attended
- Proof of practicum or work experience
Application Forms & Requirements
Apply to be an early childhood educator assistant by showing proof of completing an early childhood education course in child guidance, child health, safety and nutrition or child development in the last five years.
Use this form:
Apply to be an early childhood educator by showing proof of:
- Graduation from a basic ECE program recognized in B.C. AND
- 500 hours of work experience under the supervision of a Canadian-certified ECE
Use these forms:
- Early Childhood (5 year), Infant & Toddler, Special Needs Educator (PDF)
- Infant & toddler practicum confirmation (PDF)
Apply to be an early childhood educator without 500 hours of supervised work experience by showing proof of graduation from a recognized basic and/or post-basic ECE program (the One-Year ECE Certificate allows a person to act in the position of a fully-certified ECE while working towards their 500 hours – it can only be renewed once).
Use this form:
Training or Credentials From Outside of B.C.
From another province or territory: If you have been certified, registered or licensed in another province or territory, follow the application processes listed above and show proof of meeting requirements for one of the certifications in B.C.
- Federal Provincial Agreement on Internal Trade Certification Equivalencies from Province to Province (PDF)
From another country: Evaluating foreign training and credentials can be complicated – it can take up to 12 weeks depending on when all the required documents are received.
The ECE Registry will help you determine which application form and supporting documents to submit:
To help evaluate your training and credentials, you may also need to provide a:
- Comprehensive report from International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES) (not everyone will use this service – please discuss your application with the ECE Registry before contacting ICES)
- Program Confirmation Form (PDF) for each program completed – it must be mailed directly to the ECE Registry by the institution you attended
- Practicum Confirmation Form (PDF) for each practicum completed – it must be mailed directly to the ECE Registry by the institution you attended
- Photocopy of one piece of government issued identification (i.e. birth certificate, driver’s licence, or provincial health care card)