Rural Education Enhancement Fund (REEF)
Government is pleased to announce that the 2018/19 Rural Education Enhancement Program is open for application. The Rural Education Enhancement Fund (REEF) recognizes the importance of preserving schools in small rural communities. School districts may apply for REEF funding if their schools are at risk of closure and meet the eligibility criteria.
- A rural community outside Greater Victoria, the Lower Mainland, and Kelowna areas with a population less than 15,000 and where isolation creates demonstrable challenges;
- The potential school closure would leave the community with no school;
- Funding is used to keep the school open;
- Closures where the primary driver is facility condition are not included; and
- Closure would have a detrimental educational impact on students and/or social/economic impact on the community.
The deadline for new applications is February 15th, 2018.
Those schools with approved funding from the 2016/17 or 2017/18 school years, do not need to re-apply, but may submit an updated costing to the Ministry by February 15th, 2018.
For additional details regarding the application process and timeline, please refer to the letter (link to letter). Notifications of funding will be received on or before March 15th, 2018.
Current REEF funding may be found in these tables.