School Enhancement Program
The School Enhancement Program (SEP) was launched in 2014 to help school districts extend the life of their facilities through a wide range of improvement projects. Eligible projects must be more than $100,000, but not exceed $3,000,000.
SEP projects that are eligible for funding are:
- Electrical upgrades (power supply, distribution systems)
- Energy upgrades (LED lighting, high-efficiency boilers)
- Health and Safety upgrades (fire systems, indoor air quality)
- Mechanical upgrades (heating, ventilation, plumbing)
- Building Enclosure upgrades (roofing, exterior walls, windows)
- Washroom upgrades
- Flooring upgrades
Projects not currently eligible for SEP funding include, but are not limited to:
- day to day wear and tear
- driveway repairs
- playfield repairs
These types of projects are most typically covered through the school district’s Annual Facility Grant (AFG).
To date, over $150 million has been invested through the SEP. In total, almost 600 school improvement projects across the province have been funded since the program launched.