Personal Education Number (PEN) Information for Administrators
The Personal Education Number (PEN) is a nine-digit number assigned to each student enrolled or registered with any; B.C. Early Learning (Strong Start program), Public or Independent school, B.C. Certified Offshore School, Yukon School, or public Post-Secondary Institution.
Once issued, the PEN follows the student through their B.C. education path from Early Learning, through K-12 and post-secondary enrollment. This number is used for multiple purposes including; the distribution of funding to schools, transition analysis between schools, districts and post-secondary education, exams and student reporting.
Help with PEN Web
Below you will find a selection of guides to help you through various aspects of using the PEN Web. For detailed instructions please view our step-by-step guide.
- Step-by-step instructions for using the PEN web application (PDF)
- PEN Activity Report (PDF)
- Data Entry Guidelines and Acceptable Documentation
- Downloading your return files from the web
- Query the PEN Web system for an existing PEN
- Requesting PENs Online for new students
- Request Return Files
- Uploading a PEN request file