Public Libraries Planning and Funding
The Libraries Branch at the Ministry of Education fosters the vision of efficient, effective and connected library programs and services for B.C. residents by:
- Overseeing the legislative and governance framework for public libraries
- Serving as a liaison between libraries and provincial or federal governments
- Offering funding, advice and leadership to libraries and province-wide library programs and initiatives
The goal is to strengthen library systems by providing support for shared services, innovation, collaboration and partnerships. This leads to creating programs and services that are mutually supported by members of the public library community. One example is the BC Libraries Cooperative shared services platform for public library services and products.
Our vision is one where public libraries provide British Columbians with access to the information and tools they need to learn, work, create and thrive in today’s changing world. The strategic plan, Inspiring Libraries, Connecting Communities: a vision for public library service in B.C. (PDF, 9.3MB), sets out our direction for the coming years. Contributions from the library community and partners formed the foundation of the vision and plan. It is through strong partnerships and commitment to our strategies, we will be able to deliver on our vision, and all British Columbians will benefit from access to information that inspires them.
Libraries are funded primarily by local governments. The Province provides $14Million in library grants each year.
Annual data and survey information tells a story about the work that B.C. public libraries do for their communities – for example, you can find out:
- How many people are visiting the library?
- What are trends at different libraries in the province?
- How much is each library spending every year?
Check out public library data:
- BC Public Library Statistics 2002 - Present
- 2016 Survey Questions and Instructions for Libraries (PDF)
- 2015 Survey Questions and Instructions for Libraries (PDF)
- 2014 Survey Questions and Instructions for Libraries (PDF)
- 2013 Survey Questions and Instructions for Libraries (PDF)
- 2012 Survey Questions and Instructions for Libraries (PDF)