Issue 18-123 Crime

July 13, 2018

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police’s National DNA Data Bank, established in 2000, contains 518,165 DNA profiles. Of the DNA profiles contained in the Data Bank,  370,385 (71.5%) were collected from convicted offenders required to submit samples, while the remainder (28.5%) are profiles developed from biological evidence found at the scene of a crime.

Among provinces, British Columbia accounts for 11.5% of all convicted offender samples received, the largest proportion behind Ontario (43.7%) and Quebec (16.8%), somewhat in line with the population living in the province.

To date (as of June 30, 2018), the National DNA Data Bank has assisted in 51,254 criminal investigations. Cases involving breaking and entering (24,323), sexual assault (5,688), and armed robbery (5,667) accounted for the largest number of investigations assisted information contained in the Data Bank.

Source: Royal Canadian Mounted Police