Issue 16-83: Crime

April 28, 2016

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police’s National DNA Data Bank, established in 2000, contains 445,521 DNA profiles. Just under three-quarters (74%) of the DNA profiles contained in the Data Bank were collected from convicted offenders required to submit samples, while the remainder (26%) are profiles developed from biological evidence found at the scene of a crime.

To date, the National DNA Data Bank has assisted in 39,747 criminal investigations. Cases involving breaking and entering (12,588), sexual assault (4,672), and armed robbery (4,455) accounted for the largest number of investigations assisted by information contained in the Data Bank.

Data Source: National DNA Data Bank of Canada, RCMP