Issue 16-65: Performing Arts

March 30, 2016

B.C.’s live performing arts industry generated $264 million in operating revenues in 2014. Expenses were comparable, but slightly lower ($206 million), such that the industry boasted a 22% profit margin. Together, Quebec and Ontario generated nearly three-quarters (70%) of total industry revenues in 2014, while B.C.’s performing arts companies accounted for about 14%.

The nation’s live performing arts industry received nearly $2.0 billion in revenue in 2014. Musical groups and artists and theatre (except musical) establishments accounted for nearly two-thirds (64%) of total revenues, with the remaining 36% split among other groups such as dance, opera and musical theatre companies.

Data Source: Statistics Canada