What's New with the B.C. Map Hub
Please be advised that DataBC is planning a change to public web services in ArcGIS Online.
Note the deadline to switch over to new services has been extended from August 31, 2021 to November 30, 2021. A lookup table is also now available upon request.
DataBC has been working to improve web service performance and stability for public data access web services available to ArcGIS Online via BCs Map Hub. Historically we have published a single large service with over 700 layers. The single service will be replaced by multiple smaller services published by schema. Duplicate Map Image Layer items will also be deprecated in favor of the corresponding authoritative Feature Layer items. We are now ready to implement the changes.
- June 1st thru June 3rd, 2021 (Tuesday- Thursday)
- DataBC will begin to update the Public Web Service URLs in the existing ArcGIS Online items. No disruption of service is expected.
- DataBC will deprecate the duplicate Map Image Layer items.
- After November 30th, 2021 (Tuesday)
- DataBC will retire the original single service.
- DataBC will retire the deprecated duplicate Map Image Layer items.
How does this affect me (AGO Creators)?
- When the single service is retired, if any web maps/apps still consume layers via the original single service, errors will be encountered. This can be resolved by updating the maps/apps to consume the new service URLs.
- When the deprecated duplicate Map Image Layer items are retired, if any web maps/apps still consume layers via the Map Image Layer items, errors will be encountered. This can be resolved by updating the maps/apps to consume the corresponding authoritative Feature Layer items and the new service URLs.
What do you (AGO creators) need to do?
- Between June 3rd (when the new services are available) and November 30th, 2021 (when the original single service is retired) you must update all of your AGO web maps/apps using public Province.Of.British.Columbia layers to instead use the new schema-based service layers. This can be done in a few different ways:
- Manually re-add the AGO item layers to your web map/app in which case you may need to reconfigure popups, styles, labels, arcade expressions, app widgets.
- Use AGO-Assistant to update the web map/app JSON to replace the original service URLs with corresponding schema-based service URLS.
- For additional assistance on this change notice please visit the help document (494 KB)
If you have any questions or concerns please open a ticket with the Data Systems & Services request system.