Travel and COVID-19

Make a plan before traveling within Canada or leaving the country. You may need to have proof of vaccination.

English | 繁體中文 | 简体中文 | Français | ਪੰਜਾਬੀ | فارسی | Tagalog | 한국어 | Español | عربى | Tiếng Việt | 日本語 | हिंदी

Last updated: April 12, 2022

On this page:

Federal requirements for travel

The Government of Canada requires all travellers 12 years and 4 months and older to be fully vaccinated and show proof of vaccination to use federally regulated methods of travel:

  • Departing from any Canadian airport
  • Travelling on VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains
  • Staying on a non-essential passenger vessel for more than 24 hours (like a cruise ship)
    • ​BC Ferries does not require proof of vaccination

Note: You're considered fully vaccinated 14 days after you get your second dose of vaccine.

Federal proof of vaccination

Get your federal proof of vaccination document before travelling inside or outside of Canada. Travel agents will ask to see your federal proof of vaccination document and a piece of valid government photo ID. 

The name on your ID must match the name on your proof of vaccination.

  • If you've already legally changed your name and it's not showing on your proof of vaccination, download and print your proof of vaccination again
  • If the name on your B.C. driver's licence or BC Services Card doesn't match your proof of vaccination, update your ID
  • If the name on your passport doesn't match your proof of vaccination, update your passport

Get your federal proof of vaccination

Your federal COVID-19 proof of vaccination is available through Health Gateway.

Proof of vaccination is free. If someone is asking you to pay, it's a scam.

Get my federal proof of vaccination  You can download proof of vaccination for you and your family, including kids under 12. 

How to travel internationally

Leaving Canada

Planning your trip

Many international destinations accept the federal proof of vaccination document. Each country makes the final decision on what they accept as proof of vaccination and how early they require it.

Before you leave

Returning to Canada

Before you arrive

Before you return to Canada, you must use ArriveCAN to submit your travel and health details in the 72 hours before you arrive in the country.

On arrival

On arrival, you must meet all federal entry requirements, including:

Requirements change often. Check before you travel. 

Travel between provinces and territories is allowed

Recreational travel within Canada is allowed. 

Individual businesses and event organizers can choose to continue requiring proof of vaccination for entry. It’s important that we respect the choices of people and businesses.

I need help

Phone the call centre if you have questions or if you need a printed copy of your federal proof of vaccination. 

Call: 1-833-838-2323Seven days a week, 7 am to 7 pm (PDT) | Translators are available

Outside Canada and the USA: 1-604-681-4261

Telephone for the Deaf: Dial 711

Video Relay Services (VRS) sign language interpretation is free for people who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired.