Clerk 9 Inventory - Apply
With a wide variety of positions and job responsibilities, the BC Public Service is a great place to begin or advance your career. As an administrative/clerical worker, you will have the opportunity to support teams and professionals who provide services to British Columbians. To learn more about clerical opportunities, including work environment, training and development, career path and benefits, visit Clerical Career Opportunities.
A Clerk 9 and Clerk Stenographer 9 inventory intake is open from January 29 - February 12, 2018. The inventory advertises permanent full-time, part-time, temporary and auxiliary Clerk 9 and Clerk Stenographer 9 opportunities in Victoria and metro Vancouver. Hiring Managers, who submit a hiring request to fill a vacant position will have their job posting expedited which reduces the time to hire by half.
Vacancies in all other areas of the province are posted to the Job Opportunities website. Interested applicants may create a job search agent to receive alerts.
Applying to be in the inventory
- First, become a member of the Clerical Inventory. To be a member of the inventory you must apply during an intake posting.
- The intake inventory posting is open to anyone who is eligible to apply to positions with the BC Public Service.
- The intake inventory posting is open three times a year. To be considered for Clerk 9 and Steno 9 vacancies in Victoria and Vancouver, you must submit an application and be a member of the inventory. Managers will no longer be posting individual Clerk 9 and Clerk Steno 9 positions to the job opportunities site for vacancies in Victoria and Metro Vancouver.
- Assessments to test your business skills are used to determine membership. Applicants who pass the assessments have access to a restricted postings site for Clerk 9 and Clerk Steno 9 jobs.
- Review the Job Seekers - Apply information on MyHR and set up your application profile prior to submitting your application. Once you have created or updated your profile, you can submit your profile and complete an online questionnaire. Remember the details of your profile, as this is how you are identified throughout the application process. Changes to your profile and/or email could affect your ability to access the site.
- When you submit your profile, you will receive an email notification. You can also verify if your application profile is received by viewing your submission history in your Career Centre Opportunities you have applied for are listed in your submission history
- A cover letter is not required as part of your application for this inventory. Your resume, while required to submit your profile, is not reviewed for screening to be an inventory member. Your answers to the Online Screening Questionnaire are used for this purpose and are verified by hiring managers.
Members of the clerical inventory will have access to jobs posted to fill vacancies for two distinct job groups. Clerical inventory members have the option to apply to postings where their work experience and level of education meet the job requirements identified in the posting. It is important to only apply for jobs you qualify for.
Once you are a member of the clerical inventory you will be granted access to a site where clerical jobs in Victoria and Vancouver Lower Mainland will be advertised. You must apply to these postings and be assessed by the hiring manager who will make the final hiring decision.
Information about Applying
If you are currently a Clerk 9 or Clerk Stenographer 9 in the BC Public Service and you are not yet a member, you must apply to the inventory to be considered for other Clerk 9 or Clerk Stenographer 9 opportunities in Victoria or Vancouver Lower Mainland.
Current Clerk 9 inventory members are not required to re-apply.
If you are a candidate in another Clerk 9/Clerk Stenographer 9 competition you will not be disqualified from this process.
Any permanent and temporary vacancies greater than seven months for Clerk 9 or Clerk Stenographer 9 vacancies in the specified locations will be recruited from the inventory. Hiring managers may choose to post their temporary and auxiliary positions less than seven months to this inventory.
To change your profile and contact information in the recruitment system, select either BC Public Service Internal Applicants or External Applicants (outside government). Use the Career Centre tab to maintain your resume profile and to update your contact information. You can also review the Applying for a Position on MyHR.
Screening & Assessment Process
Your application responses will be reviewed to determine if you meet the qualifications for the inventory. Once this process is complete, you will be invited to complete an online skills assessment. If you pass the assessment, you will receive an email notification letting you know the results of your inventory status. Please note, your responses to the application will be verified and you are expected to answer the application truthfully.
All qualified inventory participants must watch a pre-recorded orientation video. Attendance is mandatory.
Applying for jobs posted to the clerical inventory
Applicants who qualify to be inventory members are provided access to the inventory job postings site through their Career Centre. This link will only activate if there are vacancies available.
New vacancies are posted weekly:
- Monday morning by 9 am with a close date of Wednesday at midnight
- Thursday morning by 9 am with a close date of Sunday at midnight
You must submit your application to be considered for a posting. Prior to applying for a specific job, you can review the posting and job profile to determine if the job is a match for your qualifications. You can apply for multiple jobs. However, we encourage you to apply to jobs you are truly interested in and that are a match between your qualifications and the requirements of the job. If you are interested in working in a particular ministry or office location, you can select only the positions to which you are qualified and interested.
The hiring manager may conduct further assessments to evaluate and select a successful candidate (for example, a written assessment, interview) and will conduct past work performance check(s) and consideration of years of continuous service. Competition results are posted on a notification board in the recruitment management system.
Information about Opportunities
Late applications will not be accepted.
You can apply to any available opportunities. You will be required to meet the education, experience and skills requirements for each position. If your application does not provide detail on when, where, and how you gained the required work experience, your application will be denied.
Opportunities posted outside of the inventory and at other levels are applied for separately.
Results are posted to the Notification Board. Where applicable, employee applicants have staffing review rights in accordance with Article 12.5 of the BCGEU Master Agreement and section 8(1) of the Public Service Act.
Current employees are required to request and obtain their supervisor's permission to be considered for temporary opportunities (TAs). If the opportunity is a regular position, your supervisor's permission is not required.
If your qualifications change while you are in the inventory, it is up to you to update your profile. Your qualifications were considered at the time you applied to the inventory posting. You can update your qualifications when you submit your profile to positions that are of interest to you.
You can apply for positions in different inventories or individual postings. These opportunities are separate from the Clerk 9 inventory.