WorkSafeBC coverage and claims

Last updated: September 9, 2021

WorkSafeBC provides benefits if you're injured because of, or during, your duties. In addition to normal workplace activities, WorkSafeBC coverage includes situations such as:

  • Travelling to or from meetings
  • Travelling overnight for work purposes
  • Training (government or private) that your supervisor has approved

Normal daily travel to and from your home to the workplace is not covered by WorkSafeBC.

Coverage situations

Other work situations or types of employees covered by WorkSafeBC include the following:


Students on paid work placements with a ministry (such as co-op work terms or similar) are covered by WorkSafeBC in the event of a workplace injury. Students on unpaid work experience may have coverage from their university or college. Contact a safety specialist through AskMyHR to learn more.

Out-of-Province travel

If an employee is sent to work outside of B.C. for business purposes, coverage is available for up to six months. This does not include situations where employees want to work outside of the province for personal reasons. If an employee will be working outside of B.C. on business, contact a safety specialist through AskMyHRto review terms and conditions of eligibility.

For more information on flexible work arrangements, see Get started with flexible work in the BC Public Service.

Union business

If you are on leave to conduct union business, you are covered by the union for WorkSafeBC. Claims inquiries should be directed to the appropriate union representative.

Secondments, exchanges and lent employees

Contact a safety specialist through AskMyHR for assistance with secondments, exchanges or lent employees, including recommended contract language.


For assistance with liability issues and questions about hiring volunteers, contact a safety specialist through AskMyHR. Volunteers are generally not covered by WorkSafeBC. This includes:

  • Volunteers who come into the workplace or work with ministries to provide services
  • Employees who volunteer beyond their normal duties (for example, employees who participate in an organized work party to build playground equipment are not covered)
  • Employees who volunteer with an organization associated with a ministry

WorkSafeBC claims

In order to start a claim for compensation for a work-related injury or disease, WorkSafeBC must receive a report of a work-related injury or illness from the injured worker, the employer or the treating physician.


Report workplace injuries to your supervisor immediately. You can also apply for WorkSafeBC benefits if a workplace injury causes you to seek medical attention or be absent.