Urgent support and reporting in the BC Public Service

Last updated: May 10, 2021

Information on this page is for workplace safety urgent situation support and reporting, for employees of the B.C. government and their managers.

On this page

Reporting serious injuries

If you are not employed by the B.C. government please call WorkSafeBC at 1-888-621-SAFE (7233)

Report serious injuries immediately to:

  • The director of the program area at 1-250-952-0911
  • WorkSafeBC's Prevention Emergency Line
    Lower Mainland: 604-276-3301
    Toll-free: 1-888-621-7233

In the event of a fatality, also contact:

  • Local police
  • Head of the BC Public Service Agency via AskMyHRIDIR restricted

Under the Workers Compensation Act, WorkSafeBC must be notified if death or serious injury is sustained by a worker.

Serious injuries include:

  • Fatality
  • Fracture of the skull, spine or pelvis
  • Multiple, open or compound fractures, or fractures to major bones
  • Crushing injuries to the trunk, head or neck
  • Amputation
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Penetrating injuries to eye, head, neck, chest, abdomen or groin
  • Medical intervention such as CPR, artificial ventilation or control of hemorrhaging
  • Any time a worker is treated by an ambulance attendant, transported to further medical attention or sustains what might reasonably be expected to be a permanent injury

Read more about the different types of serious injuries.

If you're not sure if the injury is serious:

Call WorkSafeBC for advice:

  • Lower Mainland: 604-276-3301
  • Toll-free: 1-888-621-7233

Or call the BC Public Service Agency's 24-hour emergency safety line:

  • 250-952-0911

This number is for employees of the B.C. government and their managers only. 

If you are not employed by the B.C. government please call WorkSafeBC at 1-888-621-SAFE (7233)

Report the following within 72 hours:

  • A first aid attendant recommends an employee seek medical treatment
  • An injury requires or receives medical treatment beyond on-site first aid
  • A worker is unable to return to work beyond the day they are injured
  • An injury or accident results, or is claimed to result, in the breakage of an artificial member, eyeglasses, dentures or a hearing aid
  • An employee or WorkSafeBC has requested an employer's report

WorkSafeBC also requires immediate notification of:

  • A major failure or collapse of a structure, equipment, construction support system or excavation
  • A major release of a hazardous material
  • A fire or explosion at the workplace that could cause serious injury to a worker (fire fighters are exempt)
  • Other serious mishaps, such as multiple employees requiring first aid treatment

Hazardous materials exposures

Hazardous workplace materials include all WHMIS regulated products such as corrosive or poisonous materials. Proper handling and storage of these products is important and prevents immediate injuries and long term health effects.

Bio-hazardous materials exposures

Bio-hazardous materials, like blood and other bodily fluids, may contain pathogens known to cause illness or disease in humans. If you expect exposures to these materials in your workplace, have a plan in place to reduce the risk.

Critical incident response (CIR)

Critical incident response services (Crisis Management Services) are a specialized response to a workplace crisis, traumatic event or employee victimization.

Review Critical incident response (CIR) for more information.

Mental health

For support related to mental health, including short-term counselling, review Health and well-being.

Health, safety and sick leave resources

The BC Public Service is committed to a culture that supports employee safety and health.

Whether you're managing your own health, or looking for information to support your team, we have the resources and supports you're looking for.


If you're not employed by the B.C. provincial government please call WorkSafe BC at 1-888-621-SAFE (7233).

Call 911 for assistance if necessary.

For all other situations requiring immediate assistance, call the BC Public Service workplace health and safety 24-hour line: 250-952-0911.

This number is for employees of the B.C. government and their managers only. 

Can’t find what you need?

Submit an AskMyHR (IDIR restricted) service request.

Use the categories Myself or My Team/Organization > Workplace Safety > Urgent Health & Safety Support.

If you're a B.C. government employee without an IDIR, call the BC Public Service Agency to submit your service request