Safety planning

Last updated: February 25, 2022

Contribute to a safe BC Public Service workplace by following safe work procedures.

A strong safety program:

  • Prevents employee injuries and illnesses,
  • Keeps you in compliance with WorksafeBC
  • Reduces costs associated with workplace injury and illness
  • Ensures the employer's due diligence

Immediately report unsafe conditions or incidents and be prepared to respond appropriately in the event of a workplace injury or emergency.

On this page

Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee (JOHSC)

A Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee (JOHSC) is an advisory group made up of employers and employees working together to improve occupational health and safety in their workplace.

Emergencies and first aid

Prepare for potential emergencies and make sure your first aid program is up to date.

Learn more about:

Working alone

Assess your work situation and discuss with your supervisor whether or not a working alone check-in procedure is necessary.

Workplace exposures (biohazards and hazardous material)

Most people have a low risk of contracting a serious infectious disease or of coming into contact with hazardous materials in the course of everyday life.

Some employees in the B.C. Public Service have an increased risk due to the various risk factors at work, or because of the nature and environment of their job.

Violence in the workplace

Violence in the workplace can be frightening. Most people think of violence as a physical assault, however workplace violence includes threats, verbal abuse and intimidation. All staff play a vital role in violence prevention by following safe work procedures, reporting any incidents and helping with risk assessments.

Health, safety and sick leave resources

The BC Public Service is committed to a culture that supports employee safety and health.

Whether you're managing your own health, or looking for information to support your team, we have the resources and supports you're looking for.

Contact us

Still have questions?

Submit an AskMyHR (IDIR restricted) service request.

Use the categories Myself (or) My Team/Organization > Workplace Safety > Other Issues & Inquiries. Be specific in the subject line.

If you're a B.C. government employee without an IDIR, call the BC Public Service Agency to submit your service request.