Employee and Family Assistance Services (EFAS)
Last updated: December 16, 2022
Employee and Family Assistance Services (EFAS) includes a range of services provided by the BC Public Service Agency (the PSA) through a contract with LifeWorks (formerly Morneau Shepell).
On this page
- What EFAS offers
- Access services
- Call LifeWorks
- EFAS privacy
- Feedback about services
- EFAS resources
- Related resources
- Health, safety and sick leave resources
- Short-term counselling
- Career support services
- Family support services
- Financial and legal services
- Healthy living services
These are free, voluntary services available to everyone, including:
- Auxiliary employees
- Co-op students
- Employees receiving Short Term Illness and Injury Plan (STIIP) or long term disability (LTD) benefits
- Family members who normally reside with an employee
Counselling services for young children (7 years and under) are not within the scope of counselling LifeWorks can offer.
Bridging or referral support may be offered by LifeWorks (formerly Morneau Shepell) to help you locate a service provider specializing in child psychology.
Family members under the age of 16 will require a parent or guardian’s involvement around intake and referral.
Call LifeWorks toll-free 24 hours per day, 7 days a week: 1-800-655-5004.
Toll-free 24 hours per day, 7 days a week: 1-800-655-5004.
- Select one of the following options:
- Option 1 for individual urgent or crisis assistance
- Option 2 for standard appointment booking or re-booking
- Option 3 for Critical Incident Response (Groups)
- You'll be asked a series of questions for the purposes of required reporting, matching your situation to the right service and security/privacy assurance (such as your mother’s maiden name or date of birth)
- For safety reasons, every caller will be asked a question assessing the possible risk of harm to themselves or others at the beginning of the call
- Counselling is available in multiple forms, including:
- Over the phone
- Via videoconference
- E-counselling via email
- The range of choices and/or the timeliness of these choices may be affected by the nature of the counselling issue, your location, the scheduling availability of the caller, and other caller preferences (such as the gender of the counsellor)
- Your stated choice will be honoured wherever possible
If you have not received an expected response from a counsellor or service professional within 48 hours, call 1-800-655-5004 to follow up.
Employee and Family Assistance Services are confidential.
Personal information related to service use is not shared with anyone, including supervisors or the employer, without the written permission of the employee accessing the services.
All information is collected in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (section 26(c)) and will only be used for the purpose of providing services.
Questions about the collection or use of your personal information can be directed to an HR service representative at the BC Public Service Agency by submitting a request:
- Through AskMyHR (IDIR restricted)
- By phone: 1-877-277-0772
To provide feedback about Employee and Family Assistance Services:
- Call LifeWorks directly at 1-800-655-5004
- Submit an AskMyHR (IDIR restricted) service request; the Employee and Family Assistance Services program manager will follow up
- Use the categories Myself (or) My Team/Organization > Health & Well-being > Employee and Family Assistance Services
The BC Public Service is committed to a culture that supports employee safety and health.
Whether you're managing your own health, or looking for information to support your team, we have the resources and supports you're looking for.