Commercial Transport Inspector
Commercial transport inspectors monitor roadways, operate vehicle inspection stations (permanent/stationary, portable, mobile) and conduct mechanical and safety checks on commercial vehicles. They enforce provisions of a number of acts and regulations and will issue warnings and prosecution notices and may delay or detain vehicles and/or drivers.
Applicable Job Codes
|Bargaining Unit Code||3|
Administrative Guidelines - Growth Plan
Training Placement: Range 9, Step 1 up to 6 Months
Until training is completed (up to approx. 6 months). After completion of training, employees move to the appropriate level of the model.
The growth model applies to employees appointed to positions established at the Commercial Transport Inspector R18 level (CTI R18). Ministries that are able to attract fully qualified and experienced applicants to the CTI R18 level may hire directly to the CTI R18 level. Appointment to and movement through the growth model will be per the growth plan set out in this document. The Employer will determine when the growth model is required.
It is the responsibility of the Employer to determine the staffing qualifications when hiring for CTI R18 positions inclusive of the staffing qualifications for each level of the growth model to which individual applicants will be placed.
Training activities such as the Justice Institute training program for Commercial Transport Inspector Trainees at the Ministry of Solicitor General will be compensated at a placement rate during the training, which is a prerequisite for placement at the appropriate level in the growth model. Placement in the growth model is not a 'reclassification' for the purpose of salary treatment on placement in the model upon completion of the training phase.
Increments are not applicable until an employee attains the CTI R18 level. The increment date shall be set at the date of attaining the CTI R18 level and the first increment will occur one year later, consistent with the Employer’s policy on increments.
Each level on the growth model is to be 'the equivalent of 6 months full time employment'. Once placed on the model, employees who meet ministry standards of performance will be eligible to move to the next level of the model at the end of the shift during which 913 hours paid at the straight time rate are accumulated.
If 913 hours are reached in the middle of the day, the new level will be applied at the end of the shift and accumulation of hours toward the next level will start at the beginning of the following work shift.
Characteristics of jobs in this family
Responsible for conducting inspections and/or investigations of a technical nature to determine and enforce regulatory requirements in the area of commercial transport inspection.
Positions included will have primary responsibility for several of the following functions:
- conducting inspections, investigations and/or enforcement functions;
- interpreting and applying regulations based on physical inspections and a knowledge of commercial transport inspection;
- assisting police agencies with enforcement activities arising out of, or related to, inspections;
- performing duties of a Peace Officer or Special Constable;
- testifying in Court, laying information, and/or prosecuting before a Justice of the Peace;
- computing and/or collecting fees; and
- supervising any of the above activities.
Excluded are positions in which one or more of the following are of primary importance:
- the conduct of inspections or investigations which are administrative or financial in nature;
- the investigation and reporting on rates, schedules, licensing of commercial vehicles under the Motor Carrier Act;
- the mechanical inspection of commercial vehicles, school buses, taxis and passenger vehicles where trade journeyman qualifications are required;
- the mechanical inspection and investigation of railways, pipelines, or aerial tramways; and
- the performance of duties and responsibilities specified in another series definition.
|L1||45,612.44||3,801.04||1,748.32||24.9760||Range 12, Step 1|
|L2||48,182.24||4,015.19||1,846.82||26.3831||Range 14, Step 1|
|L3||49,531.58||4,127.63||1,898.54||27.1220||Range 15, Step 1|
|L1||44,718.10||3,726.51||1,714.04||24.4863||Range 12, Step 1|
|L2||47,237.55||3,936.46||1,810.61||25.8658||Range 14, Step 1|
|L3||48,560.27||4,046.69||1,861.31||26.5902||Range 15, Step 1|
|L1||43,842.81||3,653.57||1,680.49||24.0070||Range 12, Step 1|
|L2||46,337.21||3,861.43||1,776.10||25.3729||Range 14, Step 1|
|L3||47,647.15||3,970.60||1,826.31||26.0901||Range 15, Step 1|