Open enrolment is your annual opportunity to update your benefits coverage for the next plan (calendar) year. Open enrolment is also the one opportunity each year where you can allocate flex credits to a Health Spending Account (HSA) for the upcoming year, should you wish to do so.
This year, open enrolment runs from Oct 23 to Nov 8, 2017. Any updates you make during open enrolment will come into effect on Jan 1, 2018 and will remain in effect until you update your coverage during the next open enrolment or as a result of an eligible life event.
If you want to update your benefits coverage and/or allocate credits to an HSA you must complete open enrolment.
New for Plan Year 2018
The following changes to the Flexible Benefits Program come into effect on Jan 1, 2018:
- MSP premiums have been reduced by 50% to $37.50/month for employee only and $75/month for an employee and their spouse. The flex credits will be adjusted accordingly. No premiums for children under the age of 19 or children ages 19-24 who are still attending school full-time will continue. MSP is paid by the employer and is a taxable benefit.
Open Enrolment Checklist
- Review your current coverage on Employee Self Service. Select Benefits, then Benefits Summary
- Explore your options in the 2018 Flexible Benefits Guide (PDF, 1MB) and Your Choices at a Glance (PDF, 88KB). Learn more about the HSA to see if it is right for you
- Try to anticipate any future expense, like eye glasses. You may find it helpful to review your claims history through GroupNet for plan members (for example, you can see which services you used most often in the previous year)
- Review the plan changes above to see how they may impact your decisions
- Consider which option provides the best coverage for you given your regular expenses and anticipated needs in the coming year
- Use the calculator tool (XLXS, 55KB) to see how different choices impact your pay
Updating your choices
- Review and/or update your choices electronically through Employee Self Service
- Employee Self Service: Access from Work. From the Main Menu, select Self Service, then Benefits and Benefits Enrolment
- Employee Self Service: Access from Home. From the Main Menu, select Self Service, then Benefits and Benefits Enrolment
Important: be sure to "Submit" your changes by following the prompts. Once you arrive at the Submit Confirmation page, you have completed open enrolment. You can now Exit Employee Self Service.
- If you do not have access to Employee Self Service, complete and mail a Flexible Benefits Program Enrolment/Change Form (DOCX, 67Kb) to the Benefits Service Centre. The centre must receive your change form before the open enrolment deadline. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time
Confirming your choices
In early December, check your confirmation statement through Employee Self Service. Report any errors immediately (but no later than December 31 at 4 pm) to AskMyHR.