Medical Services Plan (MSP)

The Medical Services Plan insures eligible British Columbians for medically required services by physicians and health care practitioners.

The employer covers the cost of MSP premiums for eligible BC public service employees and their families. However, you must apply to receive this benefit. Coverage begins the first day of the month after you become a regular employee, an eligible auxiliary employee or when you sign up, whichever is later.

Note: Effective Jan 1, 2018 no premiums for children under 19 or overage dependants (19-24) in school full time will continue. MSP premium rates will be reduced by 50% and will be based on the number of adults on the account (for example, you and your spouse). The MSP premium rate for two adults is twice the amount of the single adult rate.

New Residents

If you are new to B.C. or have moved back, you are eligible for coverage after a waiting period. The period lasts the rest of the month after you arrive plus two full months. Apply for MSP coverage as soon as you arrive rather than at the end of the waiting period. This gives more time to process your application.

New residents from other parts of Canada should maintain coverage with their former medical plan during the waiting period. Residents arriving from outside Canada should contact a private insurance company. The Ministry of Health has more information on new residents.

First Nations

First Nations residents can enrol in MSP through the First Nations Health Authority (FNHA). If your dependants do not qualify for FNHA coverage and you would like to add them, you must cancel your coverage with FNHA.  Instead, you need to apply for MSP coverage through your employer and add your dependants through your employer.

Group Enrolment

B.C. residents are required by law to enrol themselves along with their spouse and children who are B.C. residents. To apply for group enrolment, refer to the Enrol and Update page of the applicable benefit plan.

Do NOT send your MSP form directly to Health Insurance BC. You must send it to your employer for processing.

Baby Enrolment/Addition of Newborn

The easiest way to enrol your newborn is to complete the Online Birth Registration  through the Vital Statistics Agency. The agency sends your baby's information to Health Insurance BC. If you have MSP coverage through work, you must also complete the Baby Enrolment (PDF, 137KB) form or the Medical Services Plan Group Change Request (PDF, 621KB) and forward it to your employer. 

For more information please visit the Baby Enrolment/Addition of Newborn page on the Ministry of Health website.