Stop of Interest Signs

British Columbia’s Stop of Interest signs each tell a story of a person, place or event significant to our provincial history. If you’ve travelled in B.C. or live close to a historic site, chances are that you have seen at least one of these signs.

Fort Yale, around 1848

Since they were first displayed on our provincial routes in 1958, visiting these signs has become a favourite summer vacation, passed down through generations.

Over time, some of these signs have become dated, worn, or lost. We are currently restoring, repairing or replacing approximately 100 existing signs and will be installing up to 75 new signs based on input we received from the public.

We received more than 500 submissions for new signs between September 26, 2016 and January 31, 2017.

Stay tuned for more on what new stops of interest will provide travellers with even more information about the people, places and cultures that have shaped our remarkable history.

History

The Stop of Interest signage program was introduced in 1958 as a British Columbia Centennial Project. Most of the signs erected at that time related to themes of settlement, industry or transportation within British Columbia. Since the start of the program, 164 signs have been installed throughout all regions of the province, often associated with the celebration of national or provincial anniversaries.

Stop of Interest signs are recognizable stops that invite travellers to take time to reflect on the people, places and events that have helped to shape British Columbia’s history.

The signs have become iconic to generations of road travellers of citizens and visitors to British Columbia, and are considered heritage features in their own right, reflecting the history of travel and tourism in B.C.

2017

Up to 75 signs are being selected from 500 public submissions to be installed throughout British Columbia.

2008

Twelve signs were installed for the British Columbia sesquicentennial celebrations.

1995

Twenty-five signs were installed along Highway 3 and one on Vancouver Island as part of a pilot project.

1971

Five signs were installed.

1970

Ten signs were cast.

1969

 Eight signs were erected. 

1967

Fifteen signs were put up in commemoration of the Centenary of Canadian Confederation.

1966 

Forty signs were distributed around the province in commemoration of the centenary of the union of the Crown Colonies of British Columbia and Vancouver Island.

1958

Forty-nine signs were erected throughout the province under a co-operative program between the British Columbia Centennial Committee and the Provincial Parks Branch.