Home Owner Grant

The home owner grant reduces the amount of property tax you pay for your principal residence.

The grant is available to qualified residents that pay property taxes to a municipality or the province in a rural area. If you pay your property taxes to a First Nation, contact the First Nation directly.

Find out what you may qualify for as a B.C. resident:

 You (or your spouse) can only claim the home owner grant for your principal residence each year. However, if you are married and have a written separation agreement with your spouse at the time you apply, you can each claim the home owner grant for separate principal residences.


Grant applications are audited to determine if taxpayers were eligible for the grants they received. If you disagree with the results of an audit, and/or with the resulting Notice of Disentitlement, you have the right to file an appeal.

Apply on Behalf of Occupants

The multiple home owner grant allows you to apply for the grant on behalf of eligible occupants living in your building or on your property.

Have a Question?

If you have any questions about the home owner grant, contact your municipality or the province if your property is in a rural area.