Apply for Families with Children Property Tax Deferment Program

The Families with Children Tax Deferment Program is a low interest loan program that allows you to defer paying all or part of your property taxes on your principal residence if you are financially supporting a child under certain circumstances.

Do I Qualify?

To qualify for this program you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • have been living in B.C. for at least one year
  • be a registered owner of the property
  • pay property taxes for the residence to a municipality or the province
  •  have and maintain a minimum equity of 15% of the property's assessed value 
  • have paid all previous years' property taxes, utility user fees, penalties and interest
  • have current fire insurance for your home and all other improvements, otherwise you may be eligible based only on your land value

and you must be financially supporting:

  • any child who is under the age of 18 and living with you full time or part time or who doesn't live with you but you pay support for the child, or
  • your own child or stepchild of any age that is attending an educational institution (e.g. college or university), or
  • your own child or stepchild of any age who is designated as a person with disabilities under the Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act, or
  • your own child or stepchild of any age that, in the opinion of a physician, has a severe mental or physical impairment that:
    • is likely to continue for at least two years, 
    • directly and significantly restricts their ability to perform daily living activities, either continuously or periodically for extended periods, and
    • as a result of those restrictions, they require an assistive device, the significant help or supervision of another person, or the services of an assistance animal to help perform those activities

and your property must:

Your property doesn't qualify for tax deferment if:

  • it's a second residence like a cottage, summer home or rental home
  • you pay the property taxes for the residence to a First Nation
  • you are leasing the property from the registered owner
  • the property title is entirely in the name of the executor/executrix, or the estate
  • the property title is entirely in trust
  • the property is registered solely in the name of a business
  • it's a float home that doesn't have a property title registered with the Land Title Office
  • it has a Caveat other than Public Guardian and Trustee
  • it has a Certificate of Pending Litigation or an Injunction
  • it has a judgment registered at Land Title Office  (judgments expire two years after registration or renewal unless it’s non-expiring)

Find out how to apply for tax deferment.

Interest Rate


The current interest rate is in effect until September 30, 2017. Find out how much interest you'd be charged to defer your taxes at the current rate.


Find out how to apply for tax deferment.

Contact us if you want to cancel your tax deferment application. You may only cancel your application before it is approved. If you cancel after the property tax due date, a penalty will apply.

Contact Information

Contact us with your questions about deferring your property taxes.

Telephone: 250 387-0555
Toll free 1 888 355-2700
Share Button