Horse Racing

Horse racing occurs at a number of locations around the province. Government directs, controls, and regulates the British Columbia horse racing industry and licenses its participants.

Learn more:

Racing Locations & Dates

Race Tracks

There are five horse racing tracks in British Columbia. Five thousand licensed owners, jockeys, drivers, trainers, grooms and exercise persons participate in approximately 200 days of live racing in the province each year. See the table below for details.

City Race Track Type Race Dates 2016
Osoyoos Desert Park Thoroughbred August 20
Princeton Sunflower Downs Thoroughbred To be announced
Surrey Fraser Downs Racetrack Standardbred Fraser Downs Race Dates (PDF)
Vancouver Hastings Racecourse Thoroughbred Hastings Race Dates (PDF)
Vernon Kin Park Thoroughbred To be announced

Teletheatres

Teletheatre sites across B.C. present simulcast satellite broadcasts of horse races run at local, national and international tracks.

To find out which communities in B.C. host teletheatres, see Gambling Locations.

Horse Racing Industry Overview

In recent years wagering at race tracks and teletheatres in British Columbia has totalled more than $200 million annually. Of this amount, about 75 per cent is wagered on simulcast races, the other 25 per cent on live racing.

According to a 2008 report, "Size and Scope of Horse Racing in British Columbia", by IER Pty. Ltd., the province's horse racing industry provides British Columbians with approximately 3,600 full-time equivalent jobs. This equates to more than 7,400 individuals who derive an income from racing in full-time, part-time or casual employment. The report also estimated the overall economic impact of the industry was more than $350 million.

Working in or Participating in Horse Racing

Every participant in British Columbia's horse racing industry must be registered and licensed to ensure that high standards of honesty, integrity, and financial responsibility are met.

Find out how to apply at Apply for Registration & Licence.

Useful Contacts

Contact the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch if you have questions about horse racing in B.C.

Share Button