What to do if evacuated from your home

Evacuees are asked to register with the Canadian Red Cross. To register visit www.redcross.ca or call 1 800 863-6582When your local or First Nations government has declared it safe for you to return home, there are steps you can take to make this transition easier and safer.


When your local or First Nations government has declared it safe for you to return there are steps you can take to make this transition easier and safer. [ Learn More

Resources and support for evacuees

Canadian Red Cross 

The Government of B.C. is providing $100 million in funding for the Canadian Red Cross to provide direct assistance to evacuees and communities impacted by wildfires. All evacuees are strongly encouraged to register with the Canadian Red Cross, even if aid is not required. On Tuesday, July 11, 2017, the Canadian Red Cross began transfers of at least $600 per household to registered evacuees whose information has been validated with the provincial authorities. The funds will first be delivered to households that have been ordered to evacuate, as they currently face the highest level of need. After the Red Cross validates the information, they will transfer the funds to recipients through secure electronic bank transfers. The validation and transfer process will take up to a week to process.

Registering will also allow family and friends to know the whereabouts of loved ones and that they are safe. It also allows the Canadian Red Cross to contact people directly as more information and assistance becomes available.

To register, please visit http://www.redcross.ca/how-we-help/current-emergency-responses/british-columbia-fires or call 1 800 863-6582.

Please note: Evacuees are asked to also register with their local emergency reception centre only if immediate assistance is needed with accommodations, food, medical or prescription support.

Emergency Reception Centres and Group Lodgings 

Anyone requiring immediate assistance with accommodations, food, medical or prescription support, is asked to register with their local emergency reception centre. Please contact your local government to confirm the location of the nearest activated emergency reception centre.

Regional Districts with emergency operation centres activated

Emergency reception centres activated [updated at 12 p.m. on July 16, 2017]

Please note: Call the Red Cross at 1-800-863-6583  to confirm availability.

Barriere Reception Centre
4936 Barriere Town Road

Chilliwack Reception Centre
Chilliwack Secondary School
46363 Yale Road

Kamloops Reception Centre
Sandman Centre
300 Lorne Street

Kelowna Reception Centre
1480 Sutherland Avenue

Lillooet Reception Centre
Lillooet Fire Hall
570 Main Street

Merritt Reception Centre
Merritt Civic Centre
1950 Mamette Avenue

Penticton Reception Centre
Penticton Community Centre
325 Power Road

Prince George Reception Centre
College of New Caledonia
3330 – 22nd Avenue

Princeton Reception Centre
Riverside Community Centre
148 Old Hedley Road

Surrey Reception Centre
Cloverdale Arena
6090 176th Street, Cloverdale 

Vernon Reception Centre
Salvation Army
3303 32 Avenue (use 33 Street entrance)

Community Resilience Centres activated [updated at 9:30 a.m. on July 13, 2017]

Community Resilience Centres are set up by local authorities to provide information and programs of support for wildfire evacuees. These centres include a variety of government and non-governmental resources to support evacuees, including access to important services and programs through Service Canada, insurance advice from the Insurance Bureau of Canada, and more.

Thompson Nicola Regional District
Kamloops Resilience Centre

1550 Island Park Way


Information on the whereabouts of Interior Health hospital patients relocated due to the fires (twitter.com) is available by calling 1 877 442-2001.

In such stressful circumstances, the most important thing to remember is to stay calm, listen to local public officials, and if possible, access online social media channels like Twitter or your local government website for information updates. [ Learn More ]  

Support is available for First Nations communities and leaders. [ Learn More ]


Get a complete list of impacted highways and closure information at www.drivebc.ca

BC Ferries 

BC Ferries is providing complimentary prearranged travel support for people evacuating the wildfires in the B.C. Interior. Evacuees from officially evacuated areas are asked to please contact 1-888-BCFERRY (1-888-223-3779) to secure their booking. Special emergency management teams at BC Ferries Customer Service Centre are standing by to take calls.

Affected workers are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits online or in person, even without a Record of Employment.

You will need:

  • Your Social Insurance Number (SIN). If you do not remember your SIN, you can visit a Service Canada office with all the identification you have to get a confirmation of your SIN.
  • To provide a mailing address and a residential address to complete your EI application and for Service Canada to process it.
    • Provide a mailing address where you can receive mail (friend, family, temporary shelter, etc.). You can update this address later.
    • Provide a residential address, even if you are temporarily living somewhere else due to the wildfires.

To learn more visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/corporate/portfolio/service-canada/wildfires-british-columbia.html

BC Hydro's Wildfire Evacuee Assistance Program provides bill credits and flexible payment plans to support residential and commercial customers affected by evacuation orders and alerts. [ Learn More

Canada’s home and business insurance industry is responding to the needs of their customers during the wildfire emergency in British Columbia. Damage due to wildfire is covered under a standard home insurance policy. As well, your insurance policy may provide coverage for additional living expenses (food and lodging, etc) incurred while under a mandatory evacuation order. Anyone with questions should contact their insurance representative or the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC or via email at askibcwest@ibc.ca.

For for information visit: www.ibc.ca

IBC also provides information on Twitter via @IBC_West.  

[ Learn More ]

ICBC has established a special claims service team to expedite and review each fire related claim. The team is focused on helping those affected and will determine circumstances where customers’ deductibles and insurance discount impacts will be waived.

For customers with claims:

  • A dedicated team at ICBC is handling insurance claims related to a fire on a priority basis. To make a claim, you can file online at icbc.com or call ICBC’s Dial-a-Claim at 1-800-910-4222, which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • You will not need to pay a deductible if your insurance claim is for vehicle damage sustained as a result of being required to use a non-traditional roadway (e.g. forest service roads) to evacuate. The claim will also have no impact on your insurance discount.
  • There are many variables involved in fire related claims and the deductibles and insurance discounts will be reviewed on an individual basis for all fire claims.

Purchasing or renewing insurance:

  • Customers who are on evacuation alert can renew their insurance; but it’s not possible to add new comprehensive or specified perils insurance coverage. It’s important not to let your coverage expire – check your policy and remember you can renew your policy up to 55 days in advance of the expiration date.
  • Impacted customers who are unable to visit/call an Autoplan broker for their insurance renewal or questions, should contact ICBC's customer service contact centre at 1-800-663-3051.
  • Customers may purchase a temporary operating permit to move an uninsured vehicle to safety. Once out of the evacuation zone, comprehensive or specified perils may be purchased for your vehicle.
  • ICBC customers who have purchased a storage policy or comprehensive or specified perils coverage from ICBC, can be rest assured that their vehicles will be covered in the event of damage from a fire.

Renewing a driver’s licence or road test bookings:

  • Impacted customers who need to renew or replace their drivers licence can contact the driver licensing contact centre at 1-800-950-1498 for assistance.
  • Road testing in the affected locations have been cancelled. Once normal operations resume, all cancelled road tests will be re-booked on a priority.    

For all other customers in affected areas:

  • Visit ICBC’s locator or call before visiting any of our offices to make sure they are open.
  • ICBC’s customer service contact centre is available to answer questions at 1-800-663-3051.
  • If you’re placed on an evacuation alert, pack all essential ID and documents in preparation for an evacuation. These documents include your B.C. driver’s licence, B.C. identification card, B.C. Services Card, passport, original birth certificate, marriage certificate and Canadian citizenship documentation. It's also a good idea to have a copy of your vehicle registration and Autoplan insurance policy.

Patients who have been displaced by the wildfires can visit a pharmacy near them to access an emergency supply of medications they may need. The College’s Find a Pharmacy tool can help patients locate a pharmacy in the community where they are staying.

Evacuees in Merritt or Kamloops who are in need of laboratory services (getting blood taken) can visit the following labs:


Nicola Valley Hospital Lab
3451 Voght St.
Monday to Friday
8 a.m. to noon.
Closed weekends and statutory holidays.


Royal Inland Hospital Lab (Clinical Services Building)
311 Columbia St.
Monday to Friday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Closed on statutory holidays.

Tudor Village Lab
#3A-1315 Summit Dr.
Monday to Friday
7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
Closed on weekends and statutory holidays.

Northills Mall Lab
#61-700 Tranquille Road.
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Closed on weekends and statutory holidays.

If you are affected by the B.C. wildfires and need help making your student loan payments, contact the National Student Loan Service Centre at 1 888 815-4514 to fast-track your application for the Repayment Assistance Plan. For borrowers in default, please contact Revenue Services of British Columbia at 1 877 405-4909.

Learn about the role of local authorities and First Nations during an emergency response, as well as planning for evacuation, reimbursement of relocation and qualifying for response costs. [ Learn More ] 

For information about preparing non-commercial livestock and pets visit: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc/prepare-your-pets

The Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre provides information and answers to key questions tenants and landlords may have around evacuating a rental unit. [ Learn More ]

Forest fire smoke is a complex and dynamic mixture of gases and very small particles that can irritate the respiratory system and cause systemic inflammation. This will be an ongoing concern as air quality in affected areas may be variable for days or weeks.

Advice to minimize health effects:

  • If you have a chronic condition, have rescue medication on hand at all times and a plan to follow if your rescue medication cannot bring your condition under control.
  • Look for indoor environments that might be less smoky, such as shopping malls, community centres and libraries.
  • Avoid physical exertion because the amount of smoke you breathe increases as your breathing rate increases.
  • Keep hydrated as it helps your body deal with inflammation.

If you are feeling unwell, remember you can call 8-1-1, a free-of-charge provincial health information and advice phone line available in British Columbia. If you or a loved one is experiencing a medical emergency, please call 9-1-1.

For more information visit: HealthlinkBC.ca.

The Ministry for Children and Family Development (MCFD) has a phone number for the specific use of all care providers (foster parents working directly with MCFD and contracted agency staffed residential and satellite homes) impacted by wildfires.  

Please call 604-310-1234, if:

  • You are in a wildfire area and have been evacuated, provide your new location and mobile phone number
  • You have been or are needing to evacuate and require support to seek alternative accommodation

Help for evacuated children, families

  • The Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) office in Ashcroft has reopened, while the MCFD offices in 100 Mile House and Williams Lake are currently closed, as are Delegated Aboriginal Agency (DAA) offices in Williams Lake. Ministry staff are on site at evacuation centres, including Prince George and Kamloops, to provide support to evacuees.

    If your family is affected by B.C. wildfires and you need to connect with services for children, families or caregivers, you can call toll free 1-800-663-9122 for Provincial Centralized Screening, call 1-877-387-7027, or email mcf.info@gov.bc.ca

    When you call or email, MCFD staff will connect you with those who can help with child and youth mental-health services, family and child support services, and with child-protection concerns. MCFD is committed to helping children and families stay safe in this difficult time.

    On Twitter: http://twitter.com/BCGovFireInfo
    On Facebook: http://facebook.com/BCForestFireInfo

Emergency Info BC: B.C.'s official channel for emergency alerts



Government of Canada